Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Fresh start might be best

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm thinking with the recent drastic temperature swings and all the rain, and with more coming it might be best if the ice totally leaves and we start fresh.  The warm cold warm cold will really weaken the ice and give us a lousy base, but if we start from scratch, it looks like next week we can build some nice ice!  Nothing worse than rotten ice as a base.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
Yeah,that sounds like a good plan............. :)
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
freeze baby freeze    ;D   then thaw baby thaw    then freeze   ....what a slingshot season. but soon mother nature will slap us in the face with some ice.
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

g

• View Profile
I agree, a fresh start would be best. Hopefully the rain will wipe out the junk ice and good, strong ice will form.

Downthehole

• View Profile
Stained water from all the run off is starting to worry me. Close to me Alum and O'Shaunessy look ok however; Delaware and Buckeye aren't looking so good. Indian had a slight stain when we ice fished last Friday......

Ice is one thing, clear water might be the next challenge....
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yeah good point
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

g

• View Profile
Once ice forms again, the water will clear up in time.

toadfish

• View Profile
Grand Lake St Mary's is nearly completely open, even in the channels.  The wind churned the water in the main part of the lake up quite a bit, especially with the low water level.  A few inches of ice and a few days time should help clear things up.

My success has never been good after having ice cover twice in one season.  Of course, this season has not been too kind to me from the start!

I do agree that with all the lousy, week ice, it is best to start from scratch again.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
 It appears that most of the ponds in my neighborhood have succumbed to the rain and warm temps. Mostly open water from what I can tell. Probably for the best, I agree that a fresh start is in our best interest. Cold temps are headed our way!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Vexilar