Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Why no fish?

caw2277 · 11 · 5486

caw2277

• View Profile
I have a 4.5 year old pond about an acre in size and around 15 feet deep.  Well stocked with bass, catfish and bluegill.  I ice fished on it for the first time in year 2.  The fish were small but the bite was excellent.  I always caught all 3 species at rates of approx. 10 fish per hour.  As my fish have multiplied and grown (bass up to 4 pounds, catfish 5 plus and bluegills up to 9 inches) my ice fishing catches have declined steadily.  The fishing during the summer is excellent.  I've tried shallow, deep, weedline, etc.  At last ice a few weeks ago, I only caught 3 catfish in 2 days!  I'm generally using jigs with redworms or mealworms.  Where are the bluegill??  I had the same issue last year for the 1 day the ice was good enough.  I have noticed when I have kept/cleaned fish that they are full of snails.  That is all I find.  My only guess is that whatever they are eating in the winter they are so single minded and conditioned to eat whatever it may be that they hardly look at my bait.  It's a small pond for god's sake!  They can't leave...I'm sure I'm contacting fish but they refuse to bite.  I'm so excited to fish this weekend but I don't want to be disappointed again.  Any suggestions or explanations?  By the way, I checked the ice yesterday.  4 inches of clear, hard ice.

Nwohioiceman123

• View Profile
Make Swiss cheese of your pond. Maybe trying using spikes or minnows for bait. IMO I would only use worms during the spring and summer.

deerslayern

• View Profile
From my experience fish especially gills get very finekie so you will prob need to change ur presentation some. line lb test, bait, the way u tie ur jig on  may not look tempting to them. Whats ur set up consist  of. My father-in-laws pond is like that so i changed my line from 2lb to 1lb ind started using micro jigs baited with 1 red and 1 white moggot. color tends to help. alot is trial and error thats what i love bout iceing, always a new challenge where ever u go and each day may or may not be the same.
When in doubt test it out.  No ice is safe ice. becareful out there.

Norm Hunitngton Jr

Pro staff
Clam
HT enterprises
frabill
Humminbird

Guide for
New London
Willard
Pleasant Hill

g

• View Profile
do you use any type of depthfinder to see if you are on fish or how they react to your presentations? seeing a fishes reaction is a big help in catching them. some days blugills hit on the rise & some days on the fall. if i can get them to chase my bait, i have a good chance of catching them.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I have a pond like that too. I have found the gills go the deepest part they can and will be hanging tight to the bottom and take a lot of work to get to bite. Go small and work your way up as for bass, I can never make them as happy as I would like lol
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
-Have you treated the pond with chemicals? if so what? there could be a problem with pH, dissolved oxygen, ammonia or nitrite. That slows the metabolism down further than the cold alone.

-Is your pond feed by a stream or other water source?

-Is your pond overstocked.

-water clarity? clear,stand,muddy?

-what vegetation do you have in the pond?

-do you have a flasher or camera?
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

caw2277

• View Profile
I think I have my answer!  I need to downsize.  I do recall using micro jigs in year 2 when I was having so much success.  My problem was the bigger catfish and bass swallowing my bait.  I hated losing bass when my pond was so young.  I remember I last year (1 day season) changing to a normal 1/16 oz. jighead with a larger hook to keep them from swallowing it so much.  I'm using the same this year.  Duh! No wonder I'm only catching catfish.  I just didn't think bluegill would be that finicky.  You can't keep them off in the summer.  I guess it's completely different ice fishing.  I will give it a shot and post the results.  Thanks all for the quick responses!

Mr Chomp

• View Profile
The last batch of ice a few weeks ago produced the best number of gills for us fishing in 5-6 feet of water in weeds and fishing 2 1/2 deep. Remember, there is no rule that says the gills always hug bottom!!!! Also, I like using small  stuff in small ponds and lakes with clear water. 4lb fluoro and size 12 hook jigs and a single maggot

caw2277

• View Profile
Results:?  Better....but still slow.  At least I caught more than just catfish.  Caught a few decent bass, a few bluegill and 1 or 2 cats.  Maybe 7 - 10 fish total???  Not very good considering I fished about 12-14 hours this weekend.  I fished about 6 different spots ranging from 4 to 12 feet.  I caught most around 8 feet.  I would get bit at every hole within the first 10 minutes.  One little tick or a small steady pull for a second.....and then nothing.  No follow up.  I was using a micro jig with a white and a pink spike.  I tried morning, afternoon and even night.  Strangely, I caught all my fish between 3:30 and 4:45.  I still had a great time but would like to catch more!  I've ice fished in Michigan quite a bit and it is so easy!  I've never known bluegill to be so picky or time sensitive.  I hope the ice can stick around until it gets cold again on Thursday.  Should refreeze pretty fast if the current ice stays intact.  64 deg. tomorrow, not sounding good.  I hope every took advantage of the weekend a caught lots of fish.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Look at my post in your other thread, did you try everything I mentioned in there?  Just curious.  :D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I fish a golf course pond that is loaded and there are day's they bite all day long. I have also found that there are day's they do not bite until the last 1/2 hour before dark and then they go crazy.

Let me know if that works.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Vexilar