Ice Fish Ohio Forum

The walking pole!?!?

Poll

If you were walking the next two days where would you walk out? Snow, Bite, Distance.

Catawba state park
12 (85.7%)
Crane creek state park
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 13, 2014, 11:23:24 AM

Icetester

• View Profile
Fishing solo tomorrow, thinking Crane since I've never been there. I'm heading out Thursday with the old man and his buddy. Not sure how far they're willing to walk, but conditions will end that debate quick once we get there.

Instead of starting another thread maybe I can get an answer to this question too. Since the ice has been good, does anyone have a number of anyone running people out? Be nice to pay for a lift out and we can walk it back.

Thanks

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
I dont know about crane but last weekend at catawba there was NO ice taxi service,if you find out different please post and let us know im sure there is a few interested!! Thanks
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

E- man

• View Profile
there's a guy on ogf said he had some openings out of Catawba. $75 rd trip he drills your holes. walleye wiz I believe he goes by. I think time is 7:30 to 3:00 If you can't access site let me Know I'll try to get a # for you.

jjmh21pack

• View Profile
Didnt have the quads so a group of us walked 5 miles out and 5 miles back on sunday and let me tell you it was the dumbest thing I've ever done and would never do it again! Half the group ended up payin for a ride in. That was a  brutal experience.

Jigslinger

• View Profile
Hi me,and the brother inlaw has walked of catawba the last three sundays. We half walked any where from 1.5 to 3 miles out have got atleast 10 to 12 fish each time. Defintely worth the walk. best colors for us was anything gold and green.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
If you go to catawaba it will be nothing but big fish that are a pain in the ass to haul back and your bites and marks will be fewer but about half the walk... Personally I am going for the eaters now and have been throwing back the big fish for a while! I voted catawba for the walk but I personally prefer to fish elsewhere...
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Icetester

• View Profile
All replies and voting much appreciated.. It a landslide, I'm still looking around for ride option and have placed one phone call. I'm saving Crane for a solo trip or when I can drag a buddy out. Walking out Thursday morning if the ride option fails. Heading Northwest until the old guys say Uncle.

Thanks Again..

phishyone1

• When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
    • View Profile
5miles each way walking, thats impressive my friend................. diehard!
Thank you,
Pete Sekerak (Phishyone1)

Icetester

• View Profile
Well here is my two day report. Do they have a thumbs down icon on this site!!! Went out of Catawba the last two days. Wednesday went 2.5 miles West -NW. Kinda buy myself in the area. Dropped lure down at 7:30. The first hour I had two good marks that just appeared on top of my bait, they never bit. I went two more hours with 3 more cruisers coming in. I moved NE .5 miles and only had 2 lookers, left there at 2ish. Set up my last time about 1.0 mile west of CSP. Again, no takers, 2 marks, left at 5:30.

Today went out with 2 others, we walked 2.20 miles North, NW. Dropped first lures at 7:45. Had 5 lookers in the first 4 hrs, no bites. Moved East about 1.0 and fished till 5:00, only saw 2 more lookers.

Man, I have been out 3 times and haven't iced an eye yet. I'm not timing the bite very well, and haven't been able to get em to go. I made some changes after the first day after seeing the clarity. Went done to 6# flouro. And down sized to 4 and 5 pimples. Mixed things up pretty good in the time I've spent. One or two things is going on in my opinion. 1) Catawba doesn't have the numbers, when they are inactive they are just plain shut down, and not many fish to work their negative mood. When the bite is hot, the fish that are there put the feed bag on, and if your in the right spot than you're going to score. 2) the fish are there in good numbers, but when they're in a negative mood they just either lay tight to the bottom and just sit. Or they are suspended and again not roaming to far. Just my observations, still learning Erie, and I have a lot to learn. It's been fun getting out and getting a chance to hook in to a couple. But now I'm a bit frustrated overall. Mainly because works calling, or I might feel a cold coming on, not sure yet ;) watching the weather.

They bite tomorrow since I'm probably not fishing, go get em.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Keep your head up, it took me till just before dark to figure it out, I kept my jig between 1' to 1.5' off bottom,only lifted the jig about 3" then jiggled it like a piece of cheese then held still, used #5 in nickel with yellow ice! 8)
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Vexilar