Ice Fish Ohio Forum

2/15/11

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Fished 2 pm to 8 pm. Caught 42 crappie. Tonight brought my hard water season crappie total to just over 2500. I dont think Ive caught as many crappie in my life as I have caught this season. Fished in 13 ft. They really wernt hitting any jigs tonight. My dead stick with a minnow caught 95%  tonight. It had me stumped because I havent been able to get them on minnows all year. The ice was 11 inchs and holding. Everything looks good for now. I think it may make it through the warm up. May be back tomorrow
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

Hoss5355

• View Profile
Congrats on a great season so far.  I am looking forward to trying out the fishing up there this weekend.  Probably will either fish Walborn or Wingfoot.  Can you use a gas auger on Wingfoot?  I've never ice fished Walborn either, but my old favorite lake of Mogadore seems to be on the down turn from reports I've been reading.  Guess it's time to cut my teeth on a new lake.   ;D

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I see lots of people with gas augers on wingfoot. Ive only fished walborn once this year and all we caught were dink crappies. I dont know whats going on at Mogadore. We fished there all through high school with great reasults then i noticed around 2003 it really started to fall off. Id like to see it back the way it was when it was loaded with huge panfish

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

Hoss5355

• View Profile
2003 was the last year that we tore them up at Mogadore as well.  I have moved towards Columbus now, and don't get to fish all the lakes I grew up on as much as I used to, but I have heard that Moggie hasn't been giving up much in the way of big gills or crappie.  Our biggest crappie through the ice were at Mogadore back in 02 and 03, and these were pushing 17 inches.  Absolute pigs. 

I wonder since most people aren't fishing there this winter due to wingfoot, if in a couple years it will be back like it was.  It seems that there is a lot more pressure at wingfoot.  I don't know this first hand, but there seems to be more than a few posts on various boards.  That seems to equate into a lot more fishing pressure. 

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
i definitely would say that wingfoot is getting hit harder. Ive been on wingfoot and there was over 80 shantys set up. I dont know what the heck happened to mogadore but they need to do something about it. Its sad to see such a great lake going to waste. I think it may be all the catfish they have stocked. In 04 or 05 I fished mogadore religiously and all I caught was catfish. Not a single crappie gill or perch. I probably caught 4-500 that year. Catfish have one of the largest appetites so that could be were all the panfish are

Minnowhead

• View Profile
All I ever caught was stunted fish out of Mogadore.  Maybe a few years and it will balance out? ???
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
We used to catch huge crappies and perch. Ive caught crappies up to 17 inchs and perch up to 15 inchs years ago. We would catch a lot of big ones not just a few a year. I have always got dinks east of Congress Lake rd but would get good fish on the main lake. I know that there are still some big ones left in the lake I think there just not as abundit. It may have to do with more and more silt building up on the bottom causing less breeding area. Big Daddy has fished the lake for years and he may have an idea of whats going on. Maybe he can tell us his thoughts and maybe tell us where the big ones are at.

TURKEY09

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Hardwater junkie those sound like some nice perch you were catching. Did you know that the state record perch was 14.5". It was caught out of Lake Erie in 1984. You could have been catching state record fish and didn't know it.  ???
turkey09

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
ok heres my thought on mogadore the weeds are gone, =no fish ? right  ???
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I never knew what the record was. If thats the case there were deffently some record perch out by the duck blinds. I havent seen those perch in quite some time. And about the weeds that didnt cross my mind. I remember when you could barely fish from shore because of all the weeds. That wasnt all that long ago either. Did the state stock the grass crap?

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
from what i can remember they put amers in to control the weeds.
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar