Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Chubby darters

fishingislife

• View Profile
Anyone here use a chubby darter as one of their main lures throughout the season?  Been looking at them recently, might have to buy me one!

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I have a few but in colors I don't usually use, so I don't know if its the colors or the lure but I haven't had much success with them, I would love to here if someone else has, maybe I'll pick up some in the colors that seem to produce best for me.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
 :)What color and size? all so what Price

perchguy

• View Profile

turkeyneck003

• View Profile
Caught a couple of perch on one last year on lake Erie......But they were hitting everything in my tackle box.....
Gaff its not just for chicken...

g

• View Profile
used the smaller lindy darter in tulibee color (blue) 2 years ago at indian. caught a fair number of saugeyes on it. it's 1 of my 4 main lure types i use. the other 3 are jigging spoons,blade baits & jigging rapalas. the darters have a good action on them & cover a decent amount of water on the fall.

jmsteele187

• View Profile
@g
Are you talking about the lindy darter, or the chubby darter by salmo?

I've been looking at the chubby darter myself, and would like to hear what people have to say about it. I have the lindy darter, but haven't had a chance to use it too much. I wonder if the salmo is the same thing in a different package. In the end, I'll probably just pick one up though.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm also curious the price/colors of the ones Russ is selling.  I've never tried one yet, but I want to. ;D  Any excuse to buy more ice gear!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I have both Salmo and Lindy Darters.  I like them both. The salmo seem to be much better quality. I was catching some crappie on the small ones on the south side of mosquito at the end of last season. They are a staple in my tacke box
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

g

• View Profile
i've only used the lindy darters. good thing is they are cheaper than the salmo darters.

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
They make a great search bait. If anything is in the area, there is a good chance that it will come in to investigate. I've dropped them into dead holes when fish have been around and gotten marks quickly enough to give that hole a chance. I also use a Vibe or Northland Trap for this purpose (a good alternative if you don't own any darters.)

Salmos are a little different from the Lindy Darters in finish quality and density. They feel more substantial in the hand to be sure. I will say that Lindy is making advancements in their finish work, but they still don't match the detail of a Salmo.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

fishingislife

• View Profile
I'm also curious the price/colors of the ones Russ is selling.  I've never tried one yet, but I want to. ;D  Any excuse to buy more ice gear!!

The chubby darters have been sold!

Vexilar