Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice conditions

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
hand spikes, cleats, safety rope and spud bar, those should be your main items to buy for all icefishermen.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Thanks for the post. Wapak, CRV, and i were at Moundwood on Saturday. There were some very bad spots that we found with a spud bar. Second hit and the spud went right through. It was the spots covered by snow.

We ended up having 20 or so guy's walk out to join us. Not one came onto the ice with a spud. Most would have walked out into that spot if we hadnt warned them.

We all tend to think ice is safe when there is a big group. I realize now i do the same thing sometimes and walk around. What happens if the guys fishing didnt tell us and let us find out the hard way. It got frustrating to keep telling person after person but we did,

One guy who was of retirement age came out with no cleats. The ice was slick and he almost went down a few times. I really felt he could have seriously hurt himself.

Anyway's, Please take the appropriate measures to keep yourself safe!
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yeah buddy the ice was really slick :P bought a second set of ice cleats at gander mnt for 6.95 , so my buddy that went fishin with me sat wouldnt fall  ;D  he said  would have busted his keester withought them...its the small things that makes your day a good one :D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
your right Dave, I was with you sat btw nice fishing wth ya, too bad we got bad info on the bite...lol. But when they were walking out on the ice with no respect for the conditions we were in , it makes you wonder if they dont care or they dont know. We can preach ice safety until we're blue in the face , but until something happens to them , it'll never change

Vexilar