Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Vex question

jmsteele187

• View Profile
Will a new FL-8se read okay in shallow water?  I've heard older vex units didn't work very well unless you used something else with them.

Curtis937

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • CPR catfish
Will a new FL-8se read okay in shallow water?  I've heard older vex units didn't work very well unless you used something else with them.

I've been using mine in 6 fow it does ok just very busy on the screen I turn the gain as low as possible
CPRCatfish.com

OIM

• Manager of Retail Operations with Sportsmen's Dire
    • View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
It depends on how thick your weeds are. If your fishing in 10 FOW or less with and FL-8 I would pick up the S-Cable and it to the unit. It is really easy to do.

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045
In the heart of the action on Lake St. Clair

jmsteele187

• View Profile
Thanks for the replies.  If I pick up a vex or get one for Christmas, I'll keep it in mind that I should pick up the s cable.  Last year the only ice I was able to get on was around docks in some marinas and the water was fairly shallow.  My old lil green box lowrance fish Lo-k-tor just couldn't cut it in 10 FOW.  I still had my camera so it wasn't all bad.  I would like to have both a flasher and the camera though.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I have the 28 this year and if we can find a place to hold the docks tournaments you can give it a test ride. I will also have it at our ice fishing weekend at the fin.

You will not need the s cable with the 28. All other units need the s cable when fishing less than 10 feet. I think its more around 5 feet or less.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Vexilar