Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Never lets me down

Icebug84

• View Profile
My brother and I got this old shanty from a friend of ours, who pulled it out of some guys garbage in North Royalton about seven years ago. Since the day we acquired it, we've been catching fish in it ever since. Two years ago I felt the need to upgrade and bought a huge Frabill four man shanty. My brother and I even considered throwing the old shanty away. After much consideration, and a few sleepless nights, we decided we couldn't bring ourselves to retire her. Since then I've used the new Frabill a grand total of four times, and our "old faithful" stays on the ice just as long as we're able to walk out on it without going through. Like a boy's first fort, the old shanty just has a cozy feel to it that I'll never get from a store bought shanty. I think were going to give the old girl a face lift this summer, she definitely deserves it! These are some pictures of my brother and the shanty we've called home for so many years. I will post pictures of us remodeling it this summer.
Kyle

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I like the red top Russian heater in Pic #2 Ba Ha Ha... ;D
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

Icebug84

• View Profile
Hah! I guess I forgot about that. Yeah it helps warm the toes lol.
Kyle

let it freeze

• View Profile

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Its nice to have one on the ice at all times. Just walk out and your ready to go. You can use the new one when you hit new lakes. Its the best of both worlds.

David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Icebug84

• View Profile
I agree David, we actually just took the shanty off the ice on new years eve. I'm already looking forward to setting it back up.
Kyle

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Its nice to have one on the ice at all times. Just walk out and your ready to go. You can use the new one when you hit new lakes. Its the best of both worlds.

Can you leave one on the ice in ohio? do you need a permit?
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Here's a pic of an old Feffercorn 1-man, canvas shanty (Feffercorn commercially made shanties out of Sandusky, Ohio from the 1950's to the early 1970's)

I had  it for a couple of years. Served me well, but finally sold it to another icer.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:14:18 PM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Icebug84

• View Profile
I like the color scheme John. Thats a pretty nice looking old shanty
Kyle

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The large circles were done to differeniate my shanty from others like it.

I remember when I was a youngin, shanties on Lake Erie and Mogadore all had distinctive color schemes & patterns.  It looked like a circus on the ice.

Think I'll do that to my Clam Nanook one of these days also.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Icebug84

• View Profile
That's a good idea. I watched a video on youtube the other day. Some guys up in Canada were building a shanty, and they made the door look like a giant bottle of Molson Canadian. I don't suppose you could mistake that. Maybe in Canada but definitely not around here.
Kyle

Vexilar