Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

May 07, 2024, 05:06:10 AM

Author Topic: Situation On Indian  (Read 6462 times)

firefish532

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Situation On Indian
« on: February 05, 2011, 10:32:28 AM »

Had a pretty good night at the lake caught 4 and 3 dinks I threw back I kept 4 that were no monsters but good eaters all were 15 1/2 inches to 17 inches. The situation is there is a guy out there that saw me catch all these and he is telling people they are all dinks  and I don't think he knows what he was talking about if you don't know please I work in a job that does not need the publicity of this if you don't believe me look at the post of my saugeye from indian on the saugeye forum and if you have a problem with me please tell me to my face not to your buddies cause yes I know alot of ice fishermen and it got back to me less then 3 hours after I was home I debated putting this here but I can't figure out why this guy does this and from others I was told he does this to others also so I will keep fishing and just have fun and if the guy that did this wants to talk to me you know where I fish so come over and hopefully talk and sort this out
Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

JustNutts

Re: Situation On Indian
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 11:55:33 AM »

Wow, If I know firefish I must say hes not gona keep a dink and normally I wouldnt expect him to keep anything much under 18in. I think most of us believe in conservation and making sure our fish are maintained in order to keep a healthy fish population for years to come. I think people really just make things to talk about just to talk and it sounds like firefish just happend to be the lucky one today

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 03:26:52 PM »

I am new to the term dinks. have seen it many times on this IFO.  I first thought it was referring to small bluegill.  now I am thinking any small fish.  are there any definitions to just what a dink is?  Hope I don't catch too many Dinks.   I did go to Bellbrook today and caught two nice trout at Spring Lake. this was not through Ice but open water by the aerators. Fun to catch somthing this year.  it's been long time since i had caught anything, besides one whale of a cold.

Jawjacker12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 03:36:39 PM »

May I ask where people are catching the eyes. I am looking at coming tonight.

firefish532

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 05:34:18 PM »

North fork and blackhawk
Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

hawgjam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 05:37:33 PM »

Sorry that happened to you firefish.  You'll find one in every crowd...you know this already.  Don't let it get under you collar.  Just jelous about your catch.     

Completely off topic...I was just thinking about the term "dink" the other day.  Dink is a term I started hearing here in OH just few years ago.  I moved to and lived in Wisconsin for 16 years and from living there and living here, the term seems to have migrated to Ohio from the more northern territories.  My guess is that it may have started out as a derogatory comment.  Once upon a time I use to hear "he's just dinking around", or "Joe...he's such a dink"...things like that.  Never knew what it meant, but just went along.  It word always seemed to be used in good spirit.  For years after I started hearing "dink" used to describe fish that were too small to keep.  Didn't think much of it until I moved back home to OH and started hearing it here.  Crossed my mind recently.  Anyway...............   

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 10:06:37 PM »

Thanks HawgJam for clearing up the Dink matter.

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 08:09:55 PM »

Firefish,
          Although I have yet to meet you personally, I truly believe you're a class act, so here is a golden rule I was told years ago: DO NOT YET ANYONE DUMBER THAN YOU P*** YOU OFF!            We run into people like that all the time and it is not worth it. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to the day we are able to meet up on the ice. Dave

firefish532

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 08:31:46 PM »

Thanks Dave you hit it right on the head
Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 09:24:52 PM »

I think dink is a word from Australia, if you ever watched the move Crocodile Dundee , dink comes up in the movie quite a few times . We use the term idiot in its place. So fish the dink you caught was the guy you fished with that day, he's a dink and I wouldn't worry about what he said, he was just mad he wasn't catching a fish. Hope to see you on the lake wednesday.

firefish532

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 10:24:27 AM »

where you going to start pm me and I will see when I can be there
Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

hardwateraddiction

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 12:22:28 PM »

Just for the record I have met firefish and also know the diehards he calls friends.  He isn't out there trying to fill the freezer with cigars.  He is a good fisherman who is very dedicated to the sport and catches alot of big fish period.  I'm sure the joker spreading rumors is doing so because of all the extra time he has cuz he however is not catching fish. Keep up the good work firefish and appreciate your posts. It's nice to have someone who knows whats going on reporting.

As for "dinks", most of the guys I fish with use this term uniquely for saugeyes and walleyes that are too small to keep either legally where length limits apply, or ethically too small to keep.
"Trust me honey, with the price of fish what it is, all this equipment will pay for itself in no time at all!"
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar