Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Fishing With A Great Partner

firefish532

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I would like to start this post with I had one of the best days fishing ever and I fish a lot. Left the house at 3 am and drove 2 1/2 hours to Lake St Clair went to sportsmen direct  and got with John to see whats up with the perch he advised us and we went out. Granted we had an idea where and what to use but I had an Ace up my sleeve. it was not my vex or a special bait it was the one thing that not a lot of guys carry in there bag it is a great partner to fish with one that will roll with the other and not get upset when it does not go as planned. My ace in the hole is Ryan Kerns. We fished for 10 hours and man was it tough but we grinded it out and by the end we had 30 perch apiece.  2 rock bass and 10 sunfish these were are keepers  we caught small fish all day and at the end total we guess we caught over 400 fish. So if your looking for a great day of fishing get with John at sportsmens Direct and he will glad to hook you up. Total cost of trip for one day was 60 in gas Michigan permit 7 dollars bait 10 dollars food25 dollars for a total of  about 110 split 2 way not bad for one day of fishing and spending the day with ryan was priceless.this is a short recap of the day.
Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
no that's an adventure that's worth a lot  ;D ;D  now I want 2 try that...
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
That sounds amazing!! I may have to plan a trip up there next weekend or the week after if we don't get some good ice soon! I'm dying to get out!! Now the only problem is I have no idea where anything on the lake is, never been up there. What kind of fish can you expect to catch? Mostly pan fish or can you get eyes? Hopefully i can find someone to go with me. Dan, or anyone that knows the area could you pm me some info? Im gonna start researching the area. I would consider other areas too, id like to go somewhere I could catch perch or crappie. Always up for eyes too.

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Me kpi joewallguy and 7 others also made the trip to LSC between the holidays. Been there a few times when the ice bug can't be cured here.
My suggestion would be like the others have said, hit sportmens direct for all your needs before heading out. Head just north on Jefferson and you will see ginos on your right. It is a banquet center on the lake. They charge 5 for parking on weekends 3 for weekdays. 2 bucks for trailer.
Pretty much its no real secret where to go. There will be 100 plus shanties out there. Just hit spots and move if not productive. We fished from the s/e to the farthest guys out to in close.  Our best bite was in the afternoon and was in 7.5 foot of water. However, I enjoy perch and they are small. Some of our guys pulled some nice pumpkin seeds and a few bass.
Best lure for me was beaded spoon blade others did OK with jiggin raps on pin mins with wax worms.
Ice was 6-7 and smooth and slick.
The best thing was to be on the ice with all the guys and having fun. Would it been great to get into some monster perch?? For sure!! But it was great to brush the dust off the gear burn some holes and pull any species of fish through the ice!!
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Ok so heres a thought?? Would it be worth the extra hr and a half drive and go to simcoe lake for a couple days? I have heard they have some monster panfish in there.

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
LSC yes quads allowed, Simcoe, not sure. I would recommend iceshanty.com for that. Create an account and ask on the simcoe thread.
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

Vexilar