Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ice started at C.J.

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
After a long morning fishing the lower end of Buck creek for 5 eyes I went to check out the lake for ice.  About 1/2 had skim ice and the marina was froze over.  I couldn't kick a hole on the side of a dock so tomorrow I'll head back with an auger.  Don't know if it will be walking safe or not  but the docks should produce a few. 
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Good to hear from you sir ! Congratulations on the walleye and thanks for the report. Hope we don`t see a major shad kill. Hopefully see you on the ice. We may shortly be a "Go" for 20 fow with ODNR...

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
You want to hope for a shad kill.  If not we are over populated with inch long shad and the fishing isn't as good the following year.  Ice was 2" in the marina today (sat) caught several nice crappies then they were gone.  They all fell to a small jigging shadrap in pink glow.  had one and lost it on structure. oh well. 
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

lowellhturner

• View Profile
The shad winter kills are cyclic, am sure we are about overdue. And agree, generally the following spring the fish bite like no body`s business afterwards. Were you fishing the docks or were you on cover, sir?

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Why waste your time in the marina when you could be gettin eyes?!?!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Actually, there are 100+ attractors inside the Marina and 85+ attractors just outside it along the breakwaters, Handicap Fishing platform. Personally would be on the extreme tip of the S breakwater (#15A- an excellent all yr `eye spot ) in 17  (14 right now) fow working the water column. that cover attracts alot of panfish, which in turn attracts alot of predators that eat panfish. If the ice was SAFE (6") would be out on the old barn foundation (#26A and B)

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Saugeye Marc, we will be getting together sooner or later with ODNR and COE and the Park Manager about "Part #3'. Would LOVE to have you attend if you`re willing. With your experience and yrs of observing the lake think you could be a most welcome presence there; your yrs on the lake carry SIGNIFICANT WEIGHT; far more so than mine.

Intimidator

• View Profile
Why waste your time in the marina when you could be gettin eyes?!?!

Exactly!:)
The Gator fishing is going to take a SEVERE turn for the worst starting this year!
This years class of legal fish is the year that only 65,000 fingerlings were stocked...then we had the NEW normal rates of 215,000 and 215,000 + 50,000 (left over, extras), the last couple years....GONE are the days when CJ was getting 450,000 to 500,000 fish!
The ODNR figures that IF EVERYTHING GOES WELL, the survival rate of fingerlings to legal adult is 3%. Best Case, is this years class will have 1,950 fish!
Have a major shad kill now with all those other hungry mouths....and we will be hard pressed to have a viable Walleye fishery at CJ! That's why the fishermen have to work together to improve things at CJ, not just enjoy a "1 year bonanza"!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:23:45 PM by Intimidator »

Intimidator

• View Profile
You want to hope for a shad kill.  If not we are over populated with inch long shad and the fishing isn't as good the following year. 

I thought you had a good 2011 fishing at CJ!! :)

It was by far my best year in a long time, my catch rates haven't suffered at all...I did have to start fishing later in the evenings in the summer to catch fish, and I found out I actually liked fishing in the dark, it's cooler and quieter!

lowellhturner

• View Profile

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Oh hey Brent :) Branching out??
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Intimidator

• View Profile
Oh hey Brent :) Branching out??

Yep! Trying to provide info and get as much help as possible for CJ! :)

Vexilar