Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Bobber stops

wannafish

• View Profile
With this cold finally hitting I've been getting my gear ready and wanna get some opinions on bobber stops I usually use the string type but when fighting fish or just moving the string to change depth my 4lb line pigtails i was wondering if someone on here has had the same problem and maybe found a solution or a different style of stop that eliminates this problem having to cut out bad sections of line and re-tie all day gets kinda old ....I've thought of stepping up to 6lb but its more fun to fish 4lb

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
I have used the string type,but much prefer the little plastic ones,they are available for different line tests,most everyone carries them(eagleclaw)
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Same here hh. Very rarely use the string stops anymore. The rubber bead ones are way better and you can get a bunch of them for very little money on amazon or ebay. It's amazing what they charge for bobber stops some places.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I use the string type., never had any problems with them.. even made my own a few years ago).

We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Downthehole

• View Profile
Hi All,

Why do you use bobbers/bobber stops at all?.....just wondering....

I use them on soft water a lot however; I'm not sure why I would use the on hard water unless I didn't have a flasher. Rod tips and spring bobbers seem to be ample for detecting a bite. Are there other reasons why a bobber would be used? Is it more of a preference thing?

Thanks in advance for any advice?

Andy
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I never use bobbers thru the ice. I carry some just in case, but dead sticks set to depth with my Vex or a spring bobber on my jigging rod is all I ever use. I can feel the bite better with a direct connection to the lure, not slack between bobber and rod tip.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
I used the sponge type for awhile when I first got into ice fishing back in the early 80's. Nothing but springs for a long time now. Just picked up a few at GM actually. Man has the sport progressed or what? But I must say I caught a lot of fish back then too. That's my "old man reminiscing" for the day.  8)

wannafish

• View Profile
I spend most my ice season on lake Erie catching steelhead not running bobbers works but with two rods about 20 feet apart I find I'm constantly staring at the rod tips for a bite when I use bobbers I can just look for the bobber tip and move onto the next rod running 2 rods and 3 jawjackers really keeps you busy

Downthehole

• View Profile
I spend most my ice season on lake Erie catching steelhead not running bobbers works but with two rods about 20 feet apart I find I'm constantly staring at the rod tips for a bite when I use bobbers I can just look for the bobber tip and move onto the next rod running 2 rods and 3 jawjackers really keeps you busy

Ahh ok, that makes sense....thanks for clarifying, very helpful....

g

• View Profile
When fishing deep water, a bobber stop can be set at 5 or 6 feet so you know when a fish is close to the hole, especially when fishing dirty water.

Downthehole

• View Profile
When fishing deep water, a bobber stop can be set at 5 or 6 feet so you know when a fish is close to the hole, especially when fishing dirty water.

That's a good idea, use one as an indicator.....

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I use a small ice bobber on my second rod if I'm panfishing shallow. Set it just of the bottom and jiggle it every once in a while. That way I don't have to worry about checking my depth every time and don't have to move my transducer back and forth. Worked really well on Indian last year.

toadfish

• View Profile
I tie my own string bobber stops and have never had any problems with them slipping after they are wet.  Make sure you trim the string very close to the line.  PM  me your address and I will send you a few, if you want.  I use beads from jannnetcraft.com with the stops.

Like others, I have stopped using bobbers and have gone with spring bobbers instead.

I would love to catch steelies/rainbows through the ice, but I live on the west end of the state, not the east where their numbers are higher. I also know very little on how and where to find them.

Good luck this season, if there is one.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I like the tiny little rubber ones that look like a little football
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar