Ice Fish Ohio Forum

mono vs braid

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
as an old fisherman i have used mono line along time, trying all that was offered, now the new braided lines that i have been trying out have me asking myself why did i wait so long to experiment with them. i have been using power pro 10lb and i really like this new feel with 2lb dia and its smooth action it makes using mono like rope. the draw back to this is that braided line has less yardage on a spool than mono so my reels arent as full, in the future i think i will pre-spool my reels with something else to make up the space so my reels are full to the edge.i set up 2 identical rods one mono and one braided and took them fishing what a suprise at the difference  ;D the braid won hands down :D ....even had to tie a different knot on the braid :) guess you can teach an old dog new tricks heh?
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Matthew Fiedler

• View Profile
i love the power pro 10lb.  started using this year for crappie and love it.  just a heads up, cheapest place to buy is walmart.  they are a buck cheaper than everywhere.  i have looked at bass pro, gander mtn, meijer, buckeye outdoors.  so i have exhausted all resources lol.

cant wait to really try it out, only caught a few gills and a rock lol.   might have to try the braided ice line for next year.

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I really like both lines but I prefer mono. The braid is a little stiffer then what I like and if you fishing for toothy fish you better use a wire or mono leader as it will cut way faster then mono on the teeth. My line of choice is made by Ande. I can only find it saltwater shops or the internet but I use it on all my freshwater gear. I use the green envy or backwater series from them.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yeah i agree wallyworld has best price on the line, i have been catching trout and perch on the power pro and it has out fished the mono. can only hope for the best so far i really like it 8) and if the dia gets any smaller i wont be able to tie it without a pop bottle ha ha ha :P
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I am going to try some. I know crv uses something that is diferent than mono and he really likes it. I will find out what it is.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Vexilar