Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Strange noises in the ice

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
First year ice fishing, went on lake medina for a change, had 7 inches of ice and it was pretty clear. walked Around the shoreline to get to the spot we wanted and it started making this hallow doinking noises, we drilled four holes about ten feet apart from the two of us, the sounds seemed to become more frequent and being inexperienced, we got off the ice in a hurry. Is this something we should be concerned about next time we are out? it really freaked us out since we have never heard ice do that on any of the other lakes we've been on
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
Sounds to me like you herd ice building, when you drilled the holes you aloud it to release pressure.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

crv423

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Wait till a pressure crack goes between your legs when your fishing, I've been icen since I was 4 and it still makes me uneasy. :D
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yep strange noises are common , loud pops, sounds like tree branches breaking, drill a hole and water goes in or comes out. you will be sitting on a hole and you hear crack and the the crack runs clear across the lake or runs thru your hole.. :o :o :o :o  bubbles, bouncing water in the hole, when its growing its really loud ...when its stable it gets quiet,, :P  the more time you spend on the ice the more you will know the noises...the noise I hate is when it spider webs under your foot  :-[ :-[ :-[
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
It was building ice. That's a good sound. ;D 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
This never gets old! You train yourself, you've done the math, you spudded your way out. Drill the first hole and a little crack or a boom and you pucker right up.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
the thicker the ice gets, the more noise it will make. whenever the temp changes, you will hear the ice talk. as it warms up in the morning it will crack, then calm down till evening. as it cools off, it will start to crack again. the best way i can describe it is a ringing sound.
 i've never done the polar plunge, but from talking to those who have say it happens so fast you can,t even shut your eyes. fished buckeye today on 6-7 inches and it was really cracking this morning. the only thing that would scare me off 7 inches of ice would be running out of bait.

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
ive been on indian and noticed a crack on the way out and it was a sunny day.  had to step over a two ft. pressure ridge on the way back.  that was the day i had a noobie fishing with me and we had to leave early cause it was freaking him out.  i tried to reassure him  but he wasnt having any fun
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
This never gets old! You train yourself, you've done the math, you spudded your way out. Drill the first hole and a little crack or a boom and you pucker right up.

Your tellin me, we always spud out and listen and feel as we go, drilled the holes sat on the buckets and heard the ice roar, and marched our happy asses right to shore with our hearts in our throats it felt haha
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
I like after you drill the hole, you feel the ice jump under you and your hole suddenly looks like crosshairs on a scope. Happened a lot wed. Just making ice man, but still gets a "whoa" out of ya sometimes.

steelneyes

• View Profile
Had a buddy drop his rod and take off running across skeeter out of the shanty when we had a nice ice popper go through the shanty.  It ws 17 degrees out and we were on 15" or ice.  He was gonna run the whole mile back to 305. 
From what I know, its usually pretty quiet when you are about to rinse the bibs.
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

fishingful

• View Profile
I have had rumbles come across Erie. Had one about 15 years ago that you could hear miles away.....kept getting louder and shot through the holes in the shanty with a loud SNAP. Actually had water/spray shoot up out of the hole a little. New guy goes shooting out the door. We had 10in of ice.

crv423

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The 1st time I took my wife on the ice we were on 10 inches of clear ice, walked out 400 yrds onto alum. I told her if you go threw stick your arms out to the side and catch yourself. It was single digits, and making a lil noise not a lot but some. I drilled a hole and of course it popped. cleaned the hole out put a chub on a tip up and lowered it into the hole, the hole time explaining what I was doing and why. I looked up and behind me a there she was 300yrds away running with her arms sticking as far out to her sides as they could. I yelled  were you going, she yelled a four letter word followed by you, people ten miles away herd. Till this day, 10 yrs latter, she will not walk on the ice with me. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:33:03 PM by crv423 »
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 ;D Sun went down ,temperature dropped and the ice started bouncing . What a rush.

quackpot

• View Profile
I've had pressure cracks shake my shanty before. The last time I was on Indian lake at lucys. There was a newbe outside the shanty that may have filled his pants. I almost fell off my bucket laughing.

Vexilar