Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Musky Fishing

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Does anyone do any Musky fishing at Alum or any of the other DNR supported fisheries? I'm going to give it a serious try this year.

I know the basics on when and where to look and what to use, I just need to know if anyone else ever fished for these things on purpose... patterning being the component that I'm missing dues to a lack of personal experience.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I will do my best to provide you with any insight you might be seeking on another topic.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
I tried musky fishing for the first time last fall with the boys with no luck but we had a fun. Like anything else it can get pricey spent 60 bucks on 3 lures at The Musky Shop in Minoqua, they are on line and will send you a catalog this place is dedicated to musky fisherman, I claim to be no expert at all but from what i read and who i talked to you will be more successful at night from a boat Good luck and let me know how it goes Dave

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
If you want a good chance to catch one you can fish below alum when the gates are open. They will hit the rogues. The nice thing is you can get saugeyes also. If you fish alum in the spring you can fish shallow with a spinnerbait around the laydowns and will hook up with a couple. You will also get bass.

I do not target them but always seem to catch them with these techniques.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Bassnpro1

• View Profile
I know the best way to catch muskies at Alum is just bass fish.  This works extremely well in the early spring when water temps are 42-50.  Just throw a bass sized spinnerbait or rattle trap in shallow water and concetrate on any wood in the water.  Most bass fishermen average 3 muskies a trip during this period of the year doing this.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I fish muskies at Leesville.  Done very well over the years.  Mostly the people I take out, they all hear how the people with me catch big muskies and I don't.  Anyway, my clients have boated many fish over 40 inches and 20 lbs.  And yes I finally got a couple of big ones last 2 years.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks Guys!
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff