Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Broke off the winning fish today

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
My partner and i fished a open at Alum today. The fish are done spawning so we went to the points. I caught a nice 2 lb smallie and my partner caught 2 2lb largemouth. We went to a point that has producecd in the past. Second cast i get bit. Set the hook and played a big 3 to 4 lb largemouth half way to the boat and my 12 pound test breaks. We finished with 6lbs and 4th place. First place was just over 8lbs with 5 fish. That fish cost us first and second big bass pot for $850. Oh well, Maybe next time.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

JustNutts

o man! the one that got away huh, at least you found some.

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
John and I were on Alum that day and didn't do worth a plug nickel.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

JustNutts

John and I were on Alum that day and didn't do worth a plug nickel.
A PLUG NICKEL EH?! HAA thats a new one. I fished with the family tonight and my wife actually caught a few walleyes.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Must be nice to only need 8 lbs to win.  Most of the tournaments over here, i.e. Portage, Berlin, Deer Creek, etc. you need over 10 lbs to get a paycheck.  Too bad about the broken line.  I can relate, happened to me at Leesville several years back.  It was a tough day, launch delayed due to thunderstorms and lightning, clouds disappeared and sun came out on a dead calm lake.  There were over 30 boats and only 3 weighed in fish.  Each boat had a 12 or 13 inch bass, and i lost a 4 or 5 pounder in the last hour 1/2 way back to the boat.  Now I check my line after every fish and every time I get snagged, some say I'm obsessed, but I'm never losing another event like that!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar