Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Clam shanty

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I bought a clam scout shanty and as I was putting this thing together 3 of the 7 bolts I assembled literally started popping off while I was looking at my next step. I don't know if this is the norm but for me the hardware they sent is junk. I will keep it and buy some good nuts and bolts before I put the rest together.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Those are bad and i will let my contact at Clam know of this issue. Sorry for the inconvenience.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Don't want to bang on subject too much but the problem I had with the hardware seems to be status quo for all that bought 1. Clam might want to invest on better hardware or make it in the USA

triton189

• View Profile
Don't want to bang on subject too much but the problem I had with the hardware seems to be status quo for all that bought 1. Clam might want to invest on better hardware or make it in the USA

I have also heard about this problem with the screws breaking. Actually, the problem looks like Hydrogen Embrittlement. Not enough bake time after Electroplating the screw can trap Hydrogen. The screw/bolts will snap with very little pressure applied. I have scene it so bad the screws lay in the box and pop like popcorn. 

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
This is great info guy's and it is what Clam wants to hear about so they can make the best product for us.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

EYELANDER75

• CLAM CORP EMPLOYEE
    • View Profile
those bolts are made in china along with the shantys all hardware is complete crap . clam will be changing back to making these in the usa right in the original place  in plymouth mn. give them a call number is on clamcorp website and send email with the above photo of the hardware. they should have no problem reimbursing you or replacing the hardware. give it a try and see where it goes,the owner dave osborne has been doing alot to make things right again and as always he wants everyone that purchases his products to be happy with it.
THANKS ,
           VINCE

Vexilar