Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ICE SAFETY REMINDER (WHEN IT FREEZES)2012-2013

ice phisher

• View Profile
I was fishing with 2 other guys on a day that had loads of snow/slush/ and standing water on the ice.... As we got to a spot to fish....all was well....we set up within feet of each other, each in his own shanty....caught a few fish and then it really got slow. I decided to move only a few yards away, but still between my friends and still only a few feet from either one of them....Got out. walked a few paces...cut my new holes....walked back... grabbed the pull line on my shanty....returned to the new holes and was only one step from them...and on that step...before you could even blink....I dropped down to my waist....but my momentum kept the upper part of my body laying flat in the snow/and slush...I managed to get back out with out help....The point of all of this is....both of my friends weigh near or passed the 300# range and I only weigh 170# ....we,while getting to our set up spots... had walked all over this area... THATS JUST HOW CRITICAL...STEPPING ON THE WRONG SPOT CAN BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My first break thru's came when I was 18 and 22 years old.........I then fished for the next 45 years without another incident, until this happened....."LUCK OR THE LACK OF IT"... STILL PLAY A GREAT ROLL.........SAFETY WISE, I STILL SAY..... NEVER FISH WITHOUT A BUDDY OR ON LAKES OR PONDS THAT YOU WILL BE THE ONLY PERSON THERE.......I'VE BEEN GUILTY OF THIS , MOSTLY IN MY YOUNGER DAYS.....IF YOU GET INTO TROUBLE ALL BY YOUSELF, YOUR ODDS OF A TRAGIC ENDING GO WAY UP.... I'LL NEVER ICE FISH ALONE AGAIN...EVEN IF IT MEANS NOT GETTING TO GO.......I'M GOING BACK TO CARRYING A "SPUD BAR" FOR JUST THE SAFETY REASON.....I ALWAYS HAVE "ICE PICK SAFETY SYSTEMS" AROUND MY NECK....BUT ALL OF THE SAFETY GEAR IN THE WORLD CAN'T TOTALLY GUARANTEE YOUR SAFETY .....WHEN WE'RE YOUNGER.... WE KINDA LIVE WITH THE THINKING.... THAT BAD THINGS ONLY WILL HAPPEN TO THE OTHER GUY...AND NOT TO ME....IF YOU LOVE ICE FISHING SUCH AS I HAVE FOR OVER A HALF OF A CENTURY....I TRULY WISH EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU (THAT LOVE TO WALK ON THE WATER) A TOTALLY LONG AND HEALTHY/SAFE LIFE TIME..........AND HOPE THAT YOU NEVER FIND YOURSELF IN THE WATER OR IN NEED OF THE SAFETY GEAR YOU MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE WITH YOU...
       PS.I have added an ARTIC ARMOUR "FLOAT SUIT".....TO MY LIST OF SAFETY GEAR, but am still in high hopes I'll never have to water test it.......HERE'S HOPING WE HAVE A 2012-2013 ICE SEASON...

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for posting this.  Its a good reminder since we're all eager to fish since we had no season last year.  We need to remember safety first so we can fish for a lifetime, not an hour or two.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Northern Illinois Ice Fishing Global Warming Style

We are getting close to first ice here is the accuweather data:
January 2013 >  Blue is good, yellow is okay, Saturday will determine the likihood of first ice next Saturday in all honesty- if it’s any warmer than predicted the lake temp could suffer.
Today 12
Sunny
40° Lo 26°
Hist. Avg.
38° Lo 24°    13
Bright and sunny
44° Lo 28°
Hist. Avg.
37° Lo 23°    14
Mostly sunny
47° Lo 32°
Hist. Avg.
37° Lo 23°    15
Mostly cloudy, rain possible
45° Lo 39°
Hist. Avg.
37° Lo 23°
Chance of a shower
44° Lo 34°
Hist. Avg.
36° Lo 22°    17
Mostly cloudy and mild
47° Lo 37°
Hist. Avg.
36° Lo 22°    18
Cloudy
42° Lo 29°
Hist. Avg.
36° Lo 22°    19
Cloudy with a few snowflakes
40° Lo 20°
Hist. Avg.
36° Lo 22°    20
Cloudy with a few snowflakes
32° Lo 18°
Hist. Avg.
35° Lo 22°    21
Low clouds
27° Lo 15°
Hist. Avg.
35° Lo 21°    22
Mostly cloudy and cold
26° Lo 16°
Hist. Avg

I may take a half day on Friday the 21st to test the ice conditions at Indian Lake.
I will keep checking the website for lake temps we need it to be making skim ice by early next week (Mon, Tues) which requires 38 degrees.
Right now it is . WATER TEMPERATURE IS 47°.

It will be in interesting next couple of days leading up to next week that will determine the making of first ice in the northern most inlets and coves (Long Island) at Indian Lake. (this lake freezes before any other lake in all of Ohio including farm ponds due to it’s elevation, depth, protection from wind and lack of current.)

See you all on the ice soon!
PLEASE BE SAFE>>>INDIAN LAKE IS FIRST TO FREEZE DON"T SEE POSTS AND ASSUME IT"S SAFE TO ICE FISH ANYWHER_ CECK YOUR OWN ICE
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

ice phisher

• View Profile
Banker..Thank's for the video... But try as I may, even this placebo visual effect.... just dosen't eze my pain and urge to hear the "SONG OF THE ICE"....Nuff said. It's all in Mother-Nature's hands from here out........
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I like the video. I have always wanted to do the same with a small pontoon boat. Sure would make things easier not having to drill all the holes and drag all your gear around. lol
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

Vexilar