Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 07:11:04 AM

Author Topic: Fire line ?  (Read 4279 times)

alfredo

• View Profile
Fire line ?
« on: January 27, 2014, 08:08:08 AM »

??? I have 2#and 3# fire line on my reels just wondering if you guys who use fire line use a small swivel and a small piece of mono or tie directly to the bait for gills and crappie use this on my lake erie rods to help baits from spinning wasnt sure about shallow water.  Thanks

eyeon2

• View Profile
Re: Fire line ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 08:12:56 AM »

Personally, I dont use fireline.  I like 2lb flurocarbon, single jig, tied with a small loop surgeon knot for the IL panfish.

EYEFISHER2

• Dustin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 08:51:37 AM »

I dont use fire line for panfish.   Only mono or floro 2-3 lb.   all my jigging rods have fireline with a swivel then 8lb floro and a snap

alfredo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 12:54:01 PM »

Thanks guys switched things up see what happens.

toadfish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 05:41:18 PM »

I never use braided line for panfish.  I stick with 2-4# mono or fluorocarbon, especially when fishing shallow lakes like Indian, Laromie and Grand.

For deeper water, I like the braid for sensitivity but usually use a fluorocarbon leader, depending on my rod.  Tried with a spring bobber rod and could not get the splice to go through the rod tip and it keep freezing in there in 0 degree temps, even in the heated shanty.

I would stick with mono or fluoro unless you are in water over 15' or so.  The visibility of the braid would hinder your catch more than the sensitivity would help, at least in my opinion.

Best of luck!
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 07:56:02 PM »

I really like my  power pro blue 5lb  with a leader on my black betty ,  ;D  I like the feel of braid , and the leader is short..  I even have braid on all of my soft water rods,  ;D  after years of using braid I don't like mono anymore... 8)
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar