Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Portage Lakes Ice Sunday 1/22

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Portage Lakes at Old State Park, OSP near Akron had a dozen fisherman Saturday afternoon and a few Sunday morning. Ice is 3"-4" thick.

My son, Nathan fished it both days. Sunday morning, he took the Clam Nanook out on the ice. As always at OSP it was "DINK CITY".  He said it felt good to try out the gear and a few. He caught a dozen gills Saturday afternoon and 10 Sunday morning. He was fishing in 4ft of water.  Nothing to brag about. He released all the fish he caught both days.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

white ice

• View Profile
I seen those guys on Saturday, but they were so close to shore I didn't bother to walk out.  I checked and spudded Nimi, Portage, and mogadore the last 2 days and found nothing that I would consider safe by any means.  There were a few shanties on the Main St. bay on Nimi, but they too were close to shore and didn't want to walk through the woods.  A couple guys on Palm Rd. Friday, but again the ice I spudded was very thin.  I've fished on ice like that before, and you don't even have a good time cause your worrying too much about staying on top. 

Vexilar