Ice Fish Ohio Forum

New member-novice ice guy

wetline1

• View Profile
Hi everyone. I'm a novice ice fisherman. I find it very intriguing, and I started purchasing some ice gear. I am looking at some electronics, but not sure where to start. I don't want to go 'all out' yet with the higher end contraptions, but I'm looking for a reliable piece of equipment that you might recommend for a starter. Any suggestions?

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
First of all, welcome!  As for a good reliable entry level unit, I'd recommend the Vexilar FL-8.  It's a great dependable unit that won't break the bank.  I know many guys that have had their FL-8 units for years and still use and love them.  It's one of the best flashers made.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Welcome friend,you can find what it is you seek on this site.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I would go FL 8 to start and buy real good ice rods and jigs.  Put your money into those.  Look on caigslist for a used ice auger, cheap shanty, etc.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Welcome aboard,

You cant go wrong with a vex. I would also invest in a good pair of boots.

Make sure you always fish with a partner. We have a board where you can post to hook up with a ice fishing partner in your area.

You are always welcome to join us when we go out. We usually post when we go out as a group.

I hope this helps.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Welcome to IFO. For electronics a good place to start would be a Marcum vx-1 or a vex. Ebay and craigslist are a good place to start for used items or if you look around you can normally find them on sale at 1 of the hundreds of websites that sell them. The best thing I could tell you to do is go out fishing with some guys that have the different brands(MARCUM,vex,humminbird) and see which one you like. You make like the color sonar flashers or you make like the digital sonar like the Marcum Showdown with a gray scale vertical display. If you like to enjoy the peace and quiet of being on the ice go with a Marcum or if you like to listen to a steady hum all day go with the vex. Either way you go you cant go wrong. It will change the way you fish completely and make your trips out more successful and enjoyable.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

wetline1

• View Profile
Thanks for the input guys. I've been looking at the vex and marcum. I've been at alum, and have seen both at work. They both seem to be user friendly.

skunkedagain

• View Profile
Welcome, you sure came to the right site to learn from. I started out with a $2 jig pole a spud bar and a 5 gallon bucket. Make sure you can stay warm, dry and safe on the ice. Don't be discouraged if you fail at first. Good luck

Vexilar