Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Wingfoot Spots

gillhunter

• View Profile
I have wanted to try the hard water at Wingfoot but I am not sure where to start. If anyone has some tips and wants to share, that would be greatly appreciated.  Even better, if some wants to meet up out there or get a group together soon lets set it up.

ADAD1640

• View Profile
in same boat --just fished once and did not do well but they were shutdown.  Big daddy was there and caught 2 --just bought marcum vx1 so i am looking forward with good ice to start using it--will let you know if i go

snicker

• View Profile
This is my second year ice fishing Wingfoot. I see most all people ice fishing in 9 to 12 foot depth. like i do. As i have done in the past is look for shantys. I myself use a camera it straight up triples the catch. There really is nothing for them to hang around except in the shallows. You can find me in the middle by the hanger around 10 feet in depth. 

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
That's a good area. There are good spots near the tire reef also.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

gillhunter

• View Profile
Thanks guys. My first inclination was to try the reefs. I will drill some holes and try my best. I like the suggestion of, go where the shanties are, but what if the lake is full of guys like me who don't know what they are doing! lol.
This is my first year and I am trying to keep it low budge, no electronics. Maybe in the future I will expand my gear. When I get out there I will be sure to report back how I do.

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 :-\  I suggest you hook up with some one who has electronics so you can experience it. Ice fishing without a Flasher is like poke and hope . Your wasting your time on the ice . I'm sure someone would partner up with you for a day on the ice . Also you can get a used Flasher for a decent price .  Good luck and be SAFE .

snicker

• View Profile
Went today was 2 inches of white ice. ill be there next week.  was 3 inches of good ice at turkeyfoot. saw nobody on mogadore or nimi.

gillhunter

• View Profile
luvtaphish-
I will have to check those out. Im sure a flasher greatly improves catch rates. I did my late fall recon at nimi and have done well with poke and hope. Wingfoot would be brand new to me and I needed pointed in the right direction. 
Again, thanks for the input

ADAD1640

• View Profile
just got the marcum vx1--it is on sale at l and M supply for 269 with free shipping----tried it yesterday and can even see the splitshot on a minnow rig!!

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
tOnce you use and understand your electronics a whole new world is opened up to you  .  I used to fish ,inthe late 70s early 80s ,without a Flasher and it was slim pickings . I got away from hard water until 2000 when I got an old Lowrance Super Sixty .Then the ice bug dug in deep. Now I'm addicted .p
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:26:23 PM by Luvztaphish »

gillhunter

• View Profile
You're right! I was on North Res. last night and a guy showed me his flasher and how it worked. He actualy let me borrow his back up one until his buddies joined. I now fully understand what you were talking about. Still have not made it out to wingfoot.

Vexilar