Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Walleye question.

Fishfeeder

• View Profile
Only been  walleye fishing once. That was in Minnesota  ,summertime. Never done it through the ice. Looking to go to Wisconsin in February. Fishing on 16in or so of ice will be a first. Will a six inch auger be good enough. And an tips on lures. Where to find them, depths etc. Any tips appreciated. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:37:19 AM by Fishfeeder »

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
6 inch auger should be fine, that's what I use on Erie.

Talk to locals  and tackle shops, or the ice fish Minnesota forums.
Shouldn't be much different than what we do here.
Good luck

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Just a little info from my experience up north, depending on how much ice they have by then you may need a extension piece on your auger, also if it's a hand auger have really good blades on it
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Fishfeeder

• View Profile
I'm planning on using a drill on the auger. First time for that.
What I'm looking for is what's your favorite walleye lures, hook for minnows. 10lb test or 8lb. Want to have a couple in my box when I get there then see what the local bait shops say.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:01:53 PM by Fishfeeder »

Just reeleyez

• View Profile
Hey fishfeeder, I prefer at least an 8" auger just in case you hook into a good one! I use a medium action rod with 6 or 8 lb braid with about 18-24" leader of fluorocarbon. I use a tiny swivel to connect the two. As far as tackle is concerned my favorite baits are rattle spoons, jigging raps and shad raps and of course the old minnow on a dead stick. Any other questions feel free to ask me! Good luck!

quackpot

• View Profile
If you want to take a bigger auger let me know. I will let you borrow one just figure what size.

toadfish

• View Profile
I would go with 8# line and an assortment of spoons, jigging raps, maybe a blade bait or two.  Having some plain jigs heads to tip with minnows is always a good idea.  Look around near drop offs and be sure to get some location hints from nearby bait shops as far as target depths.

A 6" would probably be OK, unless trophy size fish are roaming the lakes you plan on fishing.  Just be very careful when they get close to the hole.

Good luck, be safe and bring back some cold weather when you return.  Also let us know how you do.  I will help you out if you have any extra fillets to throw my way!
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

g

• View Profile
I agree with the suggested lures.Swedish pimples, buckshot rattle spoons, little cleo spoons, jigging raps, jigging shads and blade baits should cover most situations. Match the colors and sizes to the forage the walleyes are feeding on. Depth and current will also dictate lure size. Good luck and enjoy the experience.

Fishfeeder

• View Profile
Thanks for the tips. That's the lures I'm thinking. I've got a couple that will do the trick and will get a couple more when I get there and see what the locals are using. Can't wait.

quackpot

• View Profile

g

• View Profile
What lake are you going to fish Fishfeeder? If you are close to a town that has a Mills Fleet Farm store, you should be able to find whatever lures you will need, and at decent prices. Good luck and be safe.

Vexilar