Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Bass Pre-Spawn in Small Pond? Possible???

Banker · 3 · 3397

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Maybe it was because I had my daughter with me or maybe due to her throwing my waxies in the pond...:) But fished minnows under a bobber today for bass crappie and bluegill for an hour after dinner caught 2 keeper gills but no crappie- saw plenty of bass swimming together which I thought was odd so I stuck my finger in the water and by golly it must be upwards of 70 degrees ...made me think pre-spawning bass activity...can't be this early...can it?

Not a bass guy so need some expert opinion here.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes bass are in pre-spawn.  Caught 2 over 4 1/2 pounds today full of eggs.  See Sippo Lake board.  My Dad said his acre lake has 2 inch bass minnows already.  He saw the yesterday evening.  But places like Erie aren't pre-spawn yet (Sunday was a disaster, see great lakes largemouth board).  It all depends on water temp.  Good rule of thumb (true in most cases, but not all) is bass will be on beds when dogwoods bloom, mine are close, so pre-spawn is on!! ;D ;D ;D  Go get some lunkers!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yeah buddy its all about water temp , 8)
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar