Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Now the ice will come!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Yesterday I decided to ditch the heavy gas auger. I'm not getting rid of it yet, but the last 3 years it's been too cumbersome to drag around for the benefit. I found myself using my dad's hand auger 90% of the time. So I bought my own Strikemaster Mora hand auger yesterday. The gas is in my workshop and will stay there until the ice is over 6 inches!  This is a guarantee we'll get ice.  Last time I started the season with a hand auger, we ended up with 12 inches on Nimisila that year.  ;D Here's hoping for a repeat of that!!!  :o ;D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 09:05:09 AM by slabslayer »
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I have a nice 4" Mora that is super for drilling.  I havent had any problems of losing fish due to the small diameter hole.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Thank you Slab...very unselfish of you to do that. Now bring on the ice. 8)
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I have a nice 4" Mora that is super for drilling.  I havent had any problems of losing fish due to the small diameter hole.

I got the 6 incher.  Sometimes my crappies won't fit thru a 4 inch hole. My gas auger is 8 inches and I've had to squeeze some crappie thru that hole. If I have to, I can have my fishing partner drill a hole beside it if I can't squeeze him thru. It's worth it not to drag the heavy gas around.

P.S. Minnowhead, no problem!! ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 ;D. A 6 inch with Sharp blades will cut through a lot more ice than you know .

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Yea we need a good season this year so us ice fishermen can unwind polish our skills and enjoy the frosty weather!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I have had a new set of blades on the auger for 2 yrs now, that just isn't right, should have worn them out ...RIGHT  ??? 
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
i have an 8" eskimo power auger and love it . i started it religiously once a month last year. never got to use it. didn't start it at all this year. hope this helps.

Vexilar