Ice Fish Ohio Forum

bass minnows vs. emerald shiners

goose1 · 10 · 7343

goose1

• View Profile
Has anyone ever had good luck with bass minnows? I am sick of these tiny emeralds these bait stores have. They aren't worth a hoot on tip ups and I also don't like waiting till 6 am to get bait when I could just get bass minnows where I live the night before and be on the lake before sunrise. I know most people say you have to have emeralds bc that's their main food source, but does anyone use bass minnows and have Good luck on erie?

fishingful

• View Profile
I have never caught a fish on Erie on tip ups in 20 years. I would think bass minnows would work better on tip ups. A big emerald would be better. But can't find them

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
You'll have to be careful with bass minnows, they're technically illegal as bait. In order to use them, you'd have to have undersized fish in your possession on public waters. I'd hate to see you get a fine.  Not to mention, a warden once told me you can't use a sport fish for bait.  I had a bluegill on a musky rod, I didn't get a ticket, but he made me take it off and said not to do it again.  That happened at Leesville, and I was in my boat.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

threeten

• View Profile
you meant bass sized fatheads? I think?
give it a go, I have tried minnows ( not emerald shiners) for perch
with poor results. never tried them for eyes though

fishingful

• View Profile
I was guessing he was talking about bass shiners. They are 4-5 inches long and have a wider body than emeralds. You use them for catching bass.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
That makes more sense, I was wondering where he'd get bass minnows.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

goose1

• View Profile
Yea they aren't literally bass...it's a large minnow used for ppl that bass fish with live bait I guess. I only use them for perch and saugeye ice fishing, bait stores just call them bass minnows. Looks like nobody really has tried it. Guess I will be the guiny pig this weekend.

bassmastermjb

• View Profile
I have a couple customers who are using bass/ pike shiners on Erie for the walleye and do very well. I also have customers that use fatheads to tip their pimples and jigs who don't have a problem bringing home their limits.........Mark

Mark's Live Bait-Tackle And Ammo
7231 ST RT 14
Ravenna,Ohio 44266
330-296-3474 Shop
330-221-5213 Cell

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I didn't think a bluegill was a sport fish slab , I have used gills for bait for cats,stripers,wipers all kinds of fishing  ....now im curious..especially on the ohio river....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

fool4fish

• View Profile
I was curious about the situation too...my brother and I use em for catfish so we emailed our question to the odnr and they respond back and give u an answer and what we understood about it is long as u catch the gill on a hook n line you are legal to use it as bait but u cant net them in any way keeping a game fish caught in a cast net is illegal hope this helps far as fathead minnows go I heard its invasive to great lakes and illegal to use but I think that could be rumor never checked into it u think with all the special regs on lake erie it would clearly be stated use of fatheads are illegal in the ohio regs
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

Vexilar