Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Advice for ice fishing suite

bshock · 6 · 3429

bshock

• View Profile
Hi All,

I'm rather new to the sport, having only ice fished a few times last winter.  One of those was an ice fishing trip up in the Manistee area of Michigan, and we did pretty well for a few noobs, catching a few pike and bass.  I'm planning a week long trip to the same lake and want to buy a warmer outfit.  Last year it was just jeans with long underwear underneath.  Seeing as I don't ice fish too frequently, I don't want to spend a huge amount, and was thinking the Carhartt Arctic Extreme biberalls for about $130-ish. 

I've seen ice fishing specific gear with bibs at around $200, and matching jacket for about $200, and they float which would be nice, but that's a huge increase in price.  Does anyone else use Carthartt bibs and if so, do you like them?

I would also use these locally if Alum freezes up, but the real impetus for this is the weeklong trip to Michigan.  Last year I only had a couple days on the ice, this time I want 6 days from dusk til dawn.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

wannafish

• View Profile
i have never personally tried the carhartt arctic but my buddy wears them when we ride sleds and he never had any complaints riding all night...hope this was some help

buster

• View Profile
I have the artic extreme bibs and jacket and love them very warm, I'm sure the biberalls are just as good, I went with the bibs and jacket because I felt like I had more flexibility in the range of motion as well as being able to remove a little if I got to warm

Tight lines,
Ty

bshock

• View Profile
Thanks Wanna and Buster.  that's what I was hoping to hear.  As soon as they're available via Amazon, I'm gonna put in an order.  I wish I knew a place that sold them locally.  All I can find are the "regular" Carthartt biberalls.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Have not used the Carharts but truly say that clams ice armor is awesome. They are more expensive but they are very warm, have padded knees and in the seat area which makes it nice if you sit long or sit a long time. They will last you a good ten years or more.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

bshock

• View Profile
Thanks David.  If I start ice fishing more frequently I'll likely go with an ice fishing-specific floating suite, but if I'm only going to go two or three times a year, I'm going to try to find a lower-budget solution.  Ideally I'd like to go ice fishing every weekend, but Mother Nature and real life sometimes get in the way. :)

Vexilar