Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Older live bait

Fishingoat

• View Profile
Anyone ever notice if old maggots sometimes spook fish?  I sometimes notice if I keep maggots around for a while, it seems like sometimes I get more sniffers and less biters.  They are still alive, but have been in and out of my fridge and pockets a few times.  Not sure if there is anything to this or not.  I might just make stuff up as an excuse for a bad day. 
Born to fish.   No plan B.

wannafish

• View Profile
i steelhead fish a lot through the ice and start the day with jig and maggots and i seem to have to same luck as long as there alive

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Alive is the key. If they turn brown and get either really soft or hard, they're no good and fish will go the other way.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
what slab said,fresh is always best,just like our own food.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
oh I don't know I have used old bait and done pretty good.  :P  but the stuff wasn't black or mushy, just frozen.
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Fishingoat

• View Profile
Not really dead or black.  Just aged a bit. 
Just wondered. 
Thanks guys.  Looks like I'm flying solo with the weirdo bait.  Just kidding. 
Thanks for the input

Born to fish.   No plan B.

Vexilar