Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Mark or average?

Fishingoat

• View Profile
I was reading the journal post and it got me thinking about my gps waypoints.  I mark a waypoint but wonder what others do and if anyone ever marked a hole and averaged a hole to compare which is more accurate when they came back at a later date.  I do realize accuracy does change day to day but wondered if anyone ever compared.  My cousin was a Lawrence pro-staffer a few years back and he always averaged saying it was better because it used more satellites.  I think average uses 4 and mark uses 3.  Not sure so do not quote me on that.    I think a good test would be to mark a visible spot and average a visible spot and come back at a later date and see which is closer.  Might try it and post results later.  Thoughts?
Born to fish.   No plan B.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I used Navionics on my phone last year for the first time and tested it. I marked a hole, imbedded an orange ribbon in the ice next to it, and came back a week later and it put me within a foot. Also I found an abandoned bridge on Nimi that I GPS'D the 4 corners on last year. Even after transferring the data to my new phone, it still put me within a couple feet and easy enough to find with my vex and gas auger. It might not be 100% to the inch but will definitely get you close enough to find it really fast with electronics.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar