Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Mover or finesser

Fishingoat

• View Profile
When you find fish but they just dont seem to cooperate, are you a mover or finesser?   I realize everyone will say both, as I am too but when it boils down to it, do you move to find more active fish, or do you hunker down and set up camp trying every thing in the bag of tricks?
Born to fish.   No plan B.

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
I like to experiment if I'm marking fish. Hard not to if you know they are there. A good example, I was marking tons of panfish at a meteopark lake but no takers. Knowing the trout are in there, I changed to smallest pimple available and jigged the hell out of it. It looked like a xmas tree around my bait every drop and the dink gills were hitting it. Then all of a sudden a trout would come in and slam it. Depends on how they want it that day and time. I will move quick if marking none or can't bring them in with different presentations.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
It will depend for me.  Conditions will be prime factor.  So will time I can fish, a shorter day means I'm more likely to finesse the fish I've already found rather than exploring on limited time.  I believe there are always fish willing to bite on a lake at any given time, but finding them is half the battle.  If I drop a camera down and I've just found some really nice fish, I'm prone to setting up on them and finessing.  Also with almost knee-deep snow, I'm less likely to give myself a heart attack dragging all over a lake.  If I find nice fish, I'll usually stay on them.  However, if they're dinks or the lake is black ice and easy to relocate, I prefer to search for more aggressive fish.  But I will GPS the non-biters, and if nothing better comes along, I'll go back at a different time and finesse them.  A different time of day often makes a difference.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
I agree with slab. If I am short on time, I will stay put. I will drill extra holes around me and hole hop. Have had it where a hole 10 feet away has fish that bite. Conditions play a big role in relocating too. Bitter cold with wind or deep snow will keep me from moving a lot if I am marking fish.

Vexilar