Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice check 1-12

crv423 · 8 · 5006

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
Drove around the lake checking the ice everywhere I could pull up to, didn't find alot of good ice most of it was 2''- 2 1/2'' and when the spud went threw water poured out. Galena, north of 36/37 seemed to be fine, and possibly but iffy the cove next to Chesire boat ramp. Please remember don't take someone else's word for it be save and always check with a spud.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

sir fishalot

• View Profile
i"ve seen this water gush out from a hole before at kiser when there was inches of snow on top of the ice. it is amazing,but the weight of the snow pushing down on the ice is the cause of this.if you go to ohiogamefishing.com you will find a post with pic of a really nice 22in.saugeye taken off africa road this past weekend.however it is always wise to check your own ice for safety.

muskarp

• View Profile
I checked a couple of spots yesterday as well. Off Berlin Station 3", cove south of Main office ranged from 4-6 with sloped bank ice (from lake being lowered) and severe erosion on underside of ice from flow. Ended up fishing New Galena Cove for about an hour. Caught one crappie and two dink gills in 10min., switched to an eye rod, went home alone!

droptine10

• View Profile
Yea alum is a scetchy lake for ice fishing, im going out in the am., probobly start at the above mentioned cove, but I also posted about the ice cracking all around me and my hole, on the ogf site, it wasnt ice making, it had  a good deal of snow on it when I drilled thru 4 inch. of perfect clear ice, not hitting water, thinking im golden out there, well when I started drilling again it was cracking all around me loud, it wasnt ice making or deterating around me I think to much snow. Im going to learn alum ice, do pretty good up there soft water, but want to learn one of the hardest ice fishing resivoirs that is in around us. Tired of having to drive to buckeye or Indian for my out of season eyes. Heading out tommorowto Alum all day starting at galena ramp or  around that area, really want to hit some coves across from there where I do good in fall for eyes.  I will post how it goes hopefully there wanting to eat some vibes

Phil Carver

• View Profile
fished the New Galena cove from 1pm - 6pm today. Not much action going on. Thought I would get an Eye or two the way the wind was jigging the VibE's on my tip ups. Not a one. Ended up catching a couple bass and some gills and that was it. :( There was some water on top of the ice due to the weight of the snow. Good luck everyone.

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
Also fished Alum yesterday, above 36/37 bridge.  Marked lots of fish but couldn't get anything to cooperate.  Not even panfish!  I'm a bit disappointed with the bite there.  I may head to Indian or Buckeye this weekend.

sir fishalot

• View Profile
i'll probably be at indian tomorrow just before sunrise and fish till noon.sunday if i get the chance i may fish killdeer.

muskarp

• View Profile
Found good ice today north of 36/37. Managed two crappie and two dink gills. Had one flag pop. Spindle was still turning when I got to it. However, it stopped and dropped the bait. Must have smelled me coming. Marked a few fish that wouldn't take. I found no fish shallower than 12'.
Man, I want to fish somewhere tomorrow. Just not Alum. Any Columbus guys up for a road trip!

Vexilar