Ice Fish Ohio Forum

generator and power drill auger

11yearoldsDAD

• View Profile
Ok, so I'm new to this. Can't seem to find a power auger that I can afford just yet. I have a hand auger but it doesn't do well on Erie ice.  I've tried the cordless drill route and that was a total failure.  I'm considering bringing my small generator and heavy duty power drill to punch holes through the ice.  Has anyone tried this? Thoughts from the experienced ice fishermen?  I'm really trying here so your input is greatly appreciated.
It is NEVER wrong to do the RIGHT thing!

Teach a kid to hunt and fish, they will never have $$$ for anything else!

CrapPie

• View Profile
Haha,wouldnt see why it wouldnt work.Way more torque in electric than batteries..Id rather hand drill than drag all that out there.But thats me. Although you might be onto something here,im pictureing an electric auger,electric heater and or blanket and a coffee pot maybe a radio. ..And not another person around because of the noise one might make.Lol it wont suprise me if you get feedback from experience  ;D

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Crank out a few more days of hand auger. She'll be gone before long, and that soft ice drills easier anyway!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

fool4fish

• View Profile
your problem is most likely the diameter of your auger if its over 6 in. theres not much out there with enough tourqe to do 8 in augs trust me ive been thru it the cost of a hammer which i didnt try or right angle stud ripper plus generator exstenion cord your way better off watching the site the next three weeks on here plenty will go under 250 bucks hope it works out for ya
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

maxfire26

• View Profile
I would just go out and offer someone like $10 or $20 to drill you some holes.  I don't think that would be a big deal at all.  Hell if you ran into me I'd drill ya some for free!

bucknuts

• View Profile
I was up last Thursday 2.5 miles off Catawba in 20 -24" of ice and hand drilled at least 17 6" holes :)

and I'm thinking about going again tomorrow :)

E
Know our history or we are bound to repeat it!

Vexilar