Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Fell flat on my face

Banker · 4 · 2608

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I am not impartial to making fun of myself, especially when doing something as aqward as walking on ice can be. Well today, I figured I would check the ice at a local resevour. The ice was sloped up onto land creating a human foot slide and that's exactly what I used it for. One moment I had my spur bar in one hand, yard stick in the other, and the next I was face planting onto the ice I was going to check with my spud bar.

If you have ever seen the movie a Christmas story, I felt a bit like the main character, who, after receiving his bee bee gun that everyone said he'd shoot his eye out with, shot his glasses and was in the snow trying to find them.

I too was wearing glasses and seeing how I went face first, heard a snap when I hit the ice. My first thought was, oh no, now everyone will know that I fell because I broke my glasses, then I thought who cares what everyone  thinks, I am currently about 3 ft from shore on shakey ice, I could go through.

So I carefully stood up and started to slide my way back to land. the cracking I heard was much different than the pressure cracks I was used to hearing. this was more like the crackling you hear as you twist an ice cube tray to get the ice cubes out. - Nerve chilling as I was standing on said cracking ice. Should have army crawled. Wasn't thinking. I am safe now, glasses and pride in tact, and dry! Thank God!.

Safe to say, the ice is still forming in spots that were recently opened back up and is very very slick. Wear your boot spikes when you go out. Hopefully this snow will make the ice have a bit more grip than the wet bar of soap it is now.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
I almost went out and checked some ice yesterday but didn't have my boots or creepers so I decided against it.  I'm glad to hear your alright and didn't get wet.  I'm going to give it a try after work today unless something blows up here in the next hour.

Tight lines
Jason

ice phisher

• View Profile
Banker........Glad your "OK" man......The one thing about Icer's (if they survive) they can and do have some of the weirdest/comical/sad/and frightening tales to tell........besides this will stick with ya for quite a while......Man, I for one... will not venture on plain /or wet ice (no snow to make less slippery) without putting on my Arctic Spurs.......Lessons earned/Lessons learned....do be safe out there..........and good fishin to you....jON sR.
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
glad you didnt break anything banker, especially the ice.  those resevoirs dont appeal to me.  maybe first ice but after that  im spooked.  drilled into breslers once and the water was two feet below the ice.  glad u r ok  see ya at indian
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

Vexilar