Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Vexilar Vs Hummingbird?????

Jiggn Fool

• View Profile
Looking @ a flasher looked @ the Fl18 Vex and the Ice 55 Bird. The fl18 has alot of cool features. Has anyone had any expierence w/ the Bird?? I have fished with Doug and Dan wich both have vexs and I have to get me something. Am I looking @ overkill w/ the 18?? Should I just get a 8?? Lets here some opinions? Thanks Dusty

zoeconner

• View Profile
    • QuickFishTipUp
I have the 35 and love it. The only diff is the LCD display. Not worth the extra $200 for me. I can see the smallest ice jig no problem.
The first tip up that can be fished on ice and land.

www.quickfishtipup.com

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Dont forget about MARCUM. I have the lx-5 and love it.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I have a Marcum as well and love it! I have the VX-1 and its better than the old Vexilar FL-8 I did have. havent tryed the new birds.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
We have the hummingbird 45 and love it have had no problems in 2 years except it has trouble setting the hook LOl Dave

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I have had both the Hummingbirds and the vexilars. Have not used the Marcums.   

All three are great units and each has their own advantages. I think it comes done to budget. I use the fl 8 genz pack and it works just fine in Ohio waters and runs around $280. If you want to get more sophisticated than you can spend up to $600. I should be getting the new FL22 with the tri beam. When I get it, everyone can check it out. I will have the 8 and the 22 and you can choose which one works the best for you.

Try out all 3 and chose the one you like. You cant go wrong with any of them. I like the vex because they were the first and have great customer service if you ever need it.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Vexilar FL-8SE @ glens outdoors 269.99

http://www.glensoutdoors.com/Vexilar-FL-8SE-Genz-Pack-p/gp0819.htm

Marcum VX-1 $264.99

http://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=22993

Both are great units! and these are the best prices. Vexilar has a lot of recondition units at good prices too.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

TURKEY09

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I contacted vexilar and they said they were out of the reconditioned flashers.
turkey09

ice phisher

• View Profile
jiggin fool.........give Mark.......of Marks Bait and Tackle a call 330-221-5213 and talk to him on your subject.....This isn't about the sales pitch. He and I have fished together for the last several years and he has fish several different units ......You might find the conversation enlightening.....best of luck on your quest fora locator......I am a "vex" luver....and fishing blind sure ain't no fun......after fishing with "any" locator. Anything sure beats nothin....
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

Eyewall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • epicicefishing.com
My first Vex was the FL-8 and I used it for 10 years before I bought the Fl-18. I love the zoom feature on the 18 it is perfect for someone who targets walleyes that hug close to the bottom. Just something to consider.
EPIC ICE FISHING ADVENTURES-
ICEFISHOHIO.COM -
VEXILAR - PK LURES
ICEJUNKIESOUTDOORS.COM - ACE CUSTOM RODS
VULTURE SYSTEMS- VICIOUS FISHING
STRICKER ICE - AQUA VU- NEBULOUS FLOTATION
PRO CURE SCENTS- GRIM OUTDOORS

ice phisher

• View Profile
David probably nailed it when he said "comes down to budget".....I also believe that sometimes if the price is OK.....it's also exposure to the product where you shop....No one local to any of us.... has every make and model....Unless of course (MIGHT BE CABELAS OR BASS PRO) for those that live near them......Alot of these sales are because....someone fishes with a buddy....and gets exposed to one....and comes away hooked......and a just gotta have one of those attitudes..........AND come on!!!!!!!!!this is America, where we are fortunate enough to have the entire gauntlet of "PRODUCTS" to run thru......only based on......"HOW LONG IS YOUR ARM AND HOW DEEP IS YOUR POCKET"........GOOD CALL DAVID!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And LASTLY...the one you purchase.... will be the "very best" that you have ever used....because you choose that unit......If its not as fathomable as you would have hoped it to be it to be....you will sell it and the next make and model you purchase will now be the "very best unit " you have owned. And believe me.......It still is better to have the lowest priced unit of any make.....Than fish any ice covered lake......"BLIND AND TOTALLY WITHOUT ONE AT ALL"
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I completely agree with ice phisher. I have the Marcum LX-5 and I feel they are the best on the market. Other people have Vexilars and to them they are the best on the market. Type either one into Google and the first few will be where to buy them then the rest are people debating which is better. They all do the same thing. Show you water depth and whats in the water column. They all have different features. The Vex if you want a protective case it cost you more but it comes with the Marcum free. With the Vex you can add all kinds of accessories such as a light, Cupholders, Rod holders and they carry a small tackle box. With the Marcum they dont have that. The Vex has a zoom mode that is always locked on the bottom but with the Marcum you can move the zoom anywhere you want. It all comes down to what you want and how much you have to spend. Both manufacturer's have comparable models at comparable prices. try out the different makes and models before you buy.I wish I could have before I bought mine. Luckily I am completely happy with mine. I took me 2 weeks to press the buy button for 500$ that I had  saved all summer just to buy a flasher. With all the members we have here I would think that between all of us we have all the makes and models. If you want to check out mine you are more then welcome to any time and I'm sure that's the case with most people here. Once you buy one you wonder how the heck you ever fished without it. You will never fish the same way again. That machine will teach you many things and they are all worth there weight in gold.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Team, i haven't owned either but seen both in action. I have been using my Zercom Colorpoint Flasher that i bought new like 10 yrs ago. At the time it was the best on the market technology wise. But the thing is, you cannot get parts for these things any longer as they went out of business. So with that being said, Vex and Bird has been around forever and a day so i would go with whatever your comfortable with. Product support and a proven track record are worth their weight in gold IMO and that's why I'm going to go with a Vex when i upgrade soon. I think they have been around since there has been ice haven't they? ::). Although the Marcum LX sounds sexy, I'm kinda gunshy about them selling out then becoming extinct like Zercom. Anyway, that's my $0.02... hope it helps ya.

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
My Vexilar FL-18 goes with me every-single-time that I go fishing. It's the right unit for me. I can be quick on the ice carrying a rod on the holder and plenty of assorted tackle in the box. I have a battery life meter to keep me from running out of juice, not that it could ever happen, I get about three 15 hours in and recharge at about 80%-85%! ALso recharging is a breeze.

My unit has the bottom-lock feature which zooms on the bottom 6' of the water column and I have even greater target separation on those deep running fish. I have both regular and low-power settings that help when fishing weedy areas or super shallow water.

I can also mount my FL-18 to a boat should I be so inclined. I'll never fish ice without it. Ever.

This is the right unit for me.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

Jiggn Fool

• View Profile
Thanks for all The good posts. Ice phisher I called Mark and he was a big help in my decesion. He also had very good prices. I couldn't wait for one to be shipped to me so I ran to Gander Mnt tonite in Ft wayne. Only a 45 min drive. Mark really talked the fl 18 up and that was what I went to get but the more I thought about it The 6 foot zoom wasn't that intriguing to me when I only ever fish in 6-8 FOW. So I went w/ the Fl 12 pro pak. Saved $70 off the 18. So w/ the extra money I saved I got some polar pics and some boot spikes. And ice line. Thanks again for all the imput. I am ready to go. Thinking of blowing off work tommorow and going.

Vexilar