Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Bait of choice?

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Waxies or maggots?
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
waxies and a bucket of fatheads. this season, i'm hopefully gonna try shiners, suckers and chubs. gonna try for big eyes, muskys or pike.

1977walleyeguy

• View Profile
Man thats another situational based choice, but if i had to pick just one..........live wigglers

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
If I had to pick one I would have to go with maggots. I have found the maggots produce more fish for me. I always have waxies with me though. i have had several days were the fish would only take a waxworm. Like walleyeguy said its situational choice.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Agreed on the situation.  Also depends on species.  Prefer maggots for gills, waxies for crappies.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
MAGGOTS.., I.E. SPIKES FOR ME.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
When I fish for crappie and a lot of gills are present, I like to go without any larva of any kind. The larva slows the fall down to the bottom where the crappie usually are, and makes it too easy for the gills to catch up with it on the way down.

Other times, when I'm just panfishing in general, I like to use spikes (red, green or white), waxies or Goldenrod Grubs. The latter of which are a little laborious to render from the weed stalks, but they are dynamite panfish bait. Dave made a video about how to find them a few years ago. They are probably my favorite bait overall because they are fun to go out and hunt for and they produce a scent that the fish seem to respond to very well.

For perch, I like to use minnows or minnow heads on either a silver or gold jig or spoon. This will produce nice crappie as well.

For eyes, I like to use anything that looks like a minnow or other prey species such as a perch. This can be achieved either by using a lure like a swedish pimple or a Jammin Jigs Crippled Willow in a perch or other pattern.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake