Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Lake Erie is locking up

Bryan · 19 · 13655

Bryan

• View Profile
I took these this morning, hopefully today's warm up doesn't ruin what's here so far.

Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

Otter's island water taxi

trapperjon

• View Profile
WOW just looked at satellite pictures taken yesterday, i'm amazed at how much ice is in the western basin

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Awesome!!!!  I was worried all the progress was lost, guess not! 8) :o
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
It's a good start! Still have a long way to go!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Bryan

• View Profile
I took a few more pics a few mins ago, ice is still holding!
I'm still in the air flying to Ft Wayne and signal isn't strong enough to post pics, I'll post them later after I land.
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

trapperjon

• View Profile
hey bryan..... we all seen the commercial's about texting and driving,but none about flying.   ;D  thank's for the report's

Bryan

• View Profile
HAHAHA! I usually have the autopilot set when I'm in cruise...makes surfing the web a lot easier!
Pics as promised!

This just after take off from Middle Bass...

This is looking at South bass, Rattlesnake is off to my right out of view.

Southwest of South Bass, nice view of the State Park ramp.
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

steelneyes

• View Profile
Awesome info. thanks for the pics.  Now if we could just outfit your plane  with a probe that could measure thickness and maybe some sonar to scan likely areas...  Your plane autopilot must be much more trustworthy than the one on my boat ;D 
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

g

• View Profile
Great pictures Bryan. Please keep us updated on the ice progress.

wis2ohio

• View Profile
I have never been ice fishing on Erie and sure hope I can meet up with a few guys when the time comes so I might be able to soak a few lines and catch some fish and if no fish to be caught would be nice to meet a few new people.

Bryan

• View Profile
Awesome info. thanks for the pics.  Now if we could just outfit your plane  with a probe that could measure thickness and maybe some sonar to scan likely areas...  Your plane autopilot must be much more trustworthy than the one on my boat ;D 
Good luck getting the FAA to approve a mod like that! LOL!
Autopilot is a two axis...it will maintain altitude and is coupled to the GPS, it's accurate to the degree of heading. One of the best tools I ever had installed!

But, using old fashioned techniques, I'll keep you guys posted on ice conditions as I get them!
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

Bryan

• View Profile
I have never been ice fishing on Erie and sure hope I can meet up with a few guys when the time comes so I might be able to soak a few lines and catch some fish and if no fish to be caught would be nice to meet a few new people.
You are more than welcome to stop by my shanty and try your luck (if I'm out there! LOL)! Just get to the island, and I'll take you from there.
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

wis2ohio

• View Profile
You are more than welcome to stop by my shanty and try your luck (if I'm out there! LOL)! Just get to the island, and I'll take you from there.

That's probably the hardest part getting to the island in the winter time

hearttxp

• View Profile
Either Fly or Take Joe's airboat service over to SBI. No big deal.  Heard the locals fished off SBI yesterday. Had ice from 4" to 6" Plus some areas not so good also. Plus they Caught fish ! Things will be on soon ?I am sure of that !  Be Safe All

Vexilar