Ice Fish Ohio Forum

lake erie and 4wheelers

Guest · 23 · 16662

Mullygyn

Always taken an airboat from mainland to islands. Can you take a 4 wheeler from mainland all the way?

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Not yet. 95-96 we took snowmobiles but never quads
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

fishingful

• View Profile
I did not see them but heard there was some guys that rode to the island this weekend. I was out almost 2 miles sat and my dad went out 2 today. ice was 8 in. I heard and saw guys way north of us 4.5 miles out by green. There were quads up that way.

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
If you are going out of Catawba State Park you need a license plate for it.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

kneedeep

• View Profile
I heard that back in the day guys would line up Christmas trees to mark a path to the Islands. between the current and the air boats running around out there you still have to use commonsense. I also wonder if the airboat guys can kill a week spot on the trail on purpose too  ???

fishingful

• View Profile
I had an air boat on Saturday cut across the trail I was following out. He actually was ruining south but turned and crossed my path. He was coming from left to right across the front of me and I had no choice but to cross the path he made. I checked it out before I crossed it.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I don't want to get you killed but if it isn't windy and you check the ice a little I'd say it could be done pretty easily.
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Ohio you are correct.  Follow the troops out at dawn on your ATV and that way you have help if needed.  The ice is building with these temps but be safe and go with someone who knows the lake.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Kneedeep said it best in his post, common sense....
The lake was ripping with currents this past weekend and know guys who found some thin spots, esp. one south of green that others were fishing north of.
My advice is just don't follow someone out, learn the lake, what it does and check even if others made it through prior to you. Not saying be a trail blazer, I am saying be smart and check for yourself.
Guys don't appreciate tailpipers and you don't make many friends that way.
Seeing comments on here and other sites about taking 4 wheelers to the islands on the first time on erie ice, running to the islands for the first time visiting erie, one guys asked about taking a jeep wrangler out on erie now, that is just plain unsafe.
A guy went through and lost his quad of the cliffs this weekend when travelling a previously safe trail, however an airboat went through and broke the area. Luckily he made it.
In six days, it will be one year, since Jim Hudson, a well known guide in the Apostle Islands went through the ice and died. This ice we are on is less safe for the most part, then what they fish up there. Lets be careful and if you don't know or have to ask the question, then you should not be out on Erie, or if you want to learn hire a guide and tell him what you are looking to do.
I am not being a jerk but am really hoping everyone uses good judgement when heading out. No walleye is worth dying for!!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:40:32 PM by erierider »
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

eyeguy1

• View Profile
Agree with erierider for the most part however dont agree with all of it . Following others is not usually a problem if you ask them before doing so . Safety in numbers when it comes to the Lake . Don't be scared to ask questions as that is how you learn . As far as running to the islands from the main land .... Yes it can be done safely with some common sense of course as many are doing it with no problems . The residents of the Island are doing it pretty much everyday now . The south passage has been the best spot as of late with one of the guides from PIB having his shanties out between PIB and Mouse Island . This area is awesome but needs to be used with caution as it is a high current area {Hence why the fishing is so good there for walleyes}.

A little common sense goes a long way on Erie as it does in the open water seasons . As more people headout , they will be heading almost due west of the State Park towards the cans and fish will be caught . This area has less current and has been the go to spot when getting to the Island is not possible . 2-4 miles out in that area will most times then not put you on fish .

Dale

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Dale,
No doubt in safety in numbers. I may have taken the post differently so I will quote it here.."Follow the troops out at dawn on your ATV and that way you have help if needed." I take this as just tailpiping the line of fishermen heading out. Now, asking hey do you mind if we pair up or can we work together to pin some fish down and make a plan like that, no problem.
I may have taken it wrong but was getting the impression of the OP waiting for guys to head out and just follow from the ramp w/o discussion. Then if something happens someone is nearby. I think that is something best discussed with the group at the ramp before leaving. That's what I was saying and thanks for allowing me to clarify.
ER
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

eyeguy1

• View Profile
No problems at all my friend . A little BS with fellow fisherman goes a long way on the ice . Heck we have even picked up walkers on our way in without them even asking for the ride . Always pay it forward on Erie and many times you will be rewarded .

Dale

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I met some great guys in the parking lot before heading out.  Of course you discuss heading out together before hitting it.  There have been times I helped others in need and others have helped me.  What comes around goes around. 
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

fishingful

• View Profile
Same here. We have run by guys and went in and dropped off our gear and I run back out to pick them up. We can't do it loaded but once empty it saves them a mile of walking or so. I walked Erie for quite a few years before we got a ride. My dad walked even more over the years. So its nice to be offered a ride.

I have pulled in quite a few guys. My dad got pulled in once and I got burried in a slush pocket. I was actualy towing a broke down slead in a snow storm and an argo stopped to pull me out. But we have towed a dozen or so guys in over the years.

Pay it forward you may need help sometime.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:28:49 PM by fishingful »

eyeguy1

• View Profile
Fishingful , we teamed up a few years back on OGF . Fished up North of Mouse that year with some good fishing for a few days . Was you and your dad and myself and a buddy .

Dale

Vexilar