Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Cawtawba 1-26

hardwateraddiction

• View Profile
Came out of Catawba and followed the christmas tree trail that guides must have set up clear to north side of Green. Big crack partially closed up with north winds but was still open on the west side of Green running clear past the west side of Rattlesnake.  Ice around islands was 15-18 inches and even seen a small truck on the ice. Fished NW side of Green near the crack for a while.  Some marks but no takers and a buddy missed one that he said had some weight behind it he thought was a walleye.  Ran north to the south side of Rattlesnake in 32 ft and hit 7 perch and 1 small eye. Perch came on very small jigging raps and color didn't seem to matter. Heard reports of decent numbers of perch being caught in this area.  I think if we would have pushed around a little more we might have been able to put together limits if we would have focused on them.  My buddy was being lazy so we sat tight which was a mistake after finding out this morning that a few limits of perch taken not too far from us.  The walleye seem to be eluding most fisherman so far.  I talked to a charter capt who was struggling to put any fish in the airboat at all.

please remember always check your own ice.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:15:02 AM by hardwateraddiction »
"Trust me honey, with the price of fish what it is, all this equipment will pay for itself in no time at all!"

phishyone1

• When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
    • View Profile
Thanks for the great report! Glad you got on some fish.. Did you have a quad with you? Was going up sat and was still wondering if I should take or leave the quad..... Thx
Thank you,
Pete Sekerak (Phishyone1)

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Congrats man, keep at em. Fish out in front of mouse in the south passage, fish are there just VERY sketchy
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

hardwateraddiction

• View Profile
I had my quad and my other buddy had his sled.  Definitely quad worthy out there or lets just say I've taking it out on worse.  The area over toward mouse huh? Might be worth a try I guess at this point. It's rough fishing so far but i'm sure it will pick up  Have you been hitting fish out there recently?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:10:20 PM by hardwateraddiction »
"Trust me honey, with the price of fish what it is, all this equipment will pay for itself in no time at all!"

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I have not myself. I can't fish yet because my Dad is very worried about me being out there with-out him (or jealous :)) because he fell out of a tree stand and has a long road of healing before he can fish. As of right now I am just going talking to people and making calls, and fishing inland :)
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert

ledhed

• View Profile
I just got back from fishing around Green Island.I caught one that was 28" and lost another that was even bigger.They both bit at the same time.I had a chrome and blue jiggin rap with minnows on the treble hook and one on the stinger in my left hand.In my other hand I had a silver #7 pimple with green prism and minnows on it.I had both fish hooked and put the rod in my right hand on the floor and put my foot on it to keep it from going down the hole until I landed the fish on the other rod.Halfway up it came off and that was the lure with the stinger.After that I missed a couple more.I didn't really mark a lot of fish but I didn't see any shad either.

As far as going to South Bass on quads from Pebble beach or Mouse Island,I myself wouldn't do it.I've fished around there before when we had much better ice and there has allways been sketchy ice around there.The current hasn't been bad the last couple days but when it turns on it can eat the ice up very quickly from the bottom up.

I went to Green today from the the State Park but don't take that as an endorsement for safe ice,make your own decision and check conditions as you go out.I myself feel much better going way west before going around the Catawba point.I drilled about 10 holes on my way over to check the ice,everywhere I drilled was at least 10" but that doesn't mean it's all that thick.Use your spud ,be careful and good luck.

hardwateraddiction

• View Profile
Well Ohiofisher...hopefully you'll make it out soon and best wishes for your dad so as well. I personally try to avoid the area by starve all the way to mouse due to a close call I had out there previously but would spud my way out there if the bite was on. 
Thanks for the report Ledhed!  Double hookup!! oh yea! Was feeling a bit discouraged on the bite but you breathed some life back into me.  I think I'm headed out tues/wed again this week.  Cant wait for that 1st true pig of the year!  I've been pineing away the last 11 months waiting to get my fix lol.  i will definitely post results of my trip as i know alot of other guys can't wait to get out as well. 

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I hope so too, keep the reports coming!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert

mousejam515

• View Profile
ohiofisher i would be glad to go with you untill your dad is better so you dont have to go by your self. :D that way he wont have to worry so much.

maxfire26

• View Profile
I'm heading out of Catawba state park today.  I'll let you know how I did when I return.  Gonna try taking ATV's out...should be good solid ice but you never know.

phishyone1

• View Profile
Made it out of Catawba yesterday. The bite was slow for some and pretty good for others.. Everywhere will drilled a hole the ice was about 10in. We fished from 9am-dark and we ended the day with 3 eye hookups, 1perch. I took the quad. The trail leading out has a few spots that were a little damp from quad wearing it out but all in all, not to bad... Felt good to get out. Hope the bite continues to get better each day. Hope this helps. Good luck. Be safe out there... Going back ASAP......
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 02:01:15 PM by phishyone1 »
Thank you,

networthy

• View Profile
I went out on Friday, I took off at Miller Dock, I walked toward South Bass.  I got to the shove ice at Mouse and had to turn around.  The ice on the other side had about 10 inches of slush on top of it.  After a quick lunch, a couple of friends and I went off of the State park, no luck.  The ice west of the state park was close to 2' thick.  Saturday, we walked out off of Pebble, and finally made it to where I wanted to go.  There are a lot of places along the way where there is thin ice and slushy spots.  One of the spots along the way have 3-4" of ice, so if you are on a quad or sled be sure to be careful, I would not recommend taking a straight shot to the pack of shanties it is better to go east a bit before you cut back.  Maybe even go off of Mazurics. 
By the end of the day three of us ended up with 3 eyes one of which was close to 10# another was 7ish, we also had about 45 perch.  It was a great trip not so sure it was worth the walk though, but we did have some luck.

hardwateraddiction

• View Profile
Thanks for the report.  Glad you found a few fish.  sSowly but surely bite seems to be turning on.  I'm curious to see the ice conditions after this weather system comes through.  Was gonna fish tues but I think it might be better to wait till thurs.  How deep were you and what did you hit the eyes on if you don't mind me asking?

phishyone1

• View Profile
We were in 24FOW.... #3 Blue and chrome Do-Jigger......  ;) Anybody make it out there today? If so, Let us know how things went. I would like to get out one day this week but if not sat.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 08:59:14 PM by phishyone1 »
Thank you,

ledhed

• View Profile
Today was the worst day I've ever had at the islands.I made 5 moves from around Green,Rattlesnake,Catawba.I don't think I marked three fish all day.I've never had a day like that,fri.wasn't much better.I wish I could get out further west.

Vexilar