Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Any safe ice at SBI.?

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
True,there is always plenty to consider from all directions,ive been to the walleye run a few times and i wish the regs were different,you see the females and all the eggs being harvested with them and it makes you wonder about the impact on the population.with all the natural factors in play predation,injury and ones that dont reach maturity,then the human factor is a whole other story.its nice to hear everyones thoughts and learn things from other sportsmen!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

fishingful

• View Profile
As you can see from this thread there is tons of different information out there and most of its conflicting. I have seen what other states do and talked to some of the fish biologist at the stone lab and from the information I got it should have a closed season preferably or a slot limit. Like the small mouth bass do. my first trip to Erie was when I was 5. And have seen a bunch happen to the lake in the in 30 years. I can remember going out and 4 guys could catch and release 100+ small mouth in a day. But at the same time get back to the dock and see 60 of them in a cooler.

It does boil down to tourism money and that part of Ohio depends heavily upon it. My dad lives in port Clinton and its a ghost town there right now. So many businesses that are only open in the summer.

Vexilar