Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Salmo Chubby Darter?

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I would like to hear from some of you who have used this lure. The price seems kinda high for a ice lure to me. I wouldnt mind paying the money as long as it works great and its super high quality. I use the lindy darter quite often and it rattles. Does the chubby darter rattle? There has been many times when I couldnt find the fish and I would drop the darter and the rattle would call the fish in. Do they make a small size that would be good smalerl mouths like gills and perch? This lure seems to me to be more of an investment and I would just like some first hand reviews before I spend the money. Thanks
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Yes, it does rattle and they do have smaller sizes. In fact, they just came out with a new perch pattern in the lindy darter which is only about an inch long. I don't see why a gill wouldn't hit this, but perch would be an easy sell as they take even the larger sizes from what I have heard and seen. I have caught crappie on the shiner pattern. Just added a black dot with a sharpie marker to replicate what I thought they were eating.

If you're just trying them out I wouldn't buy more than a handful, just for the assrotment of colors. They are a little steep!

But you can't put a price on fishing with confidence...... yak yak yak ;D
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

zoeconner

• View Profile
    • QuickFishTipUp
Yea this bait looks sick. I just picked some up yesterday. I love the action. It makes me want to eat it.

The first tip up that can be fished on ice and land.

www.quickfishtipup.com

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I have several of the Lindy Darters and I absolutly love them. I have also caught some bull gills on the small one. Im wondering about the Salmo Darter. They are almost 10 $ apiece and the Lindys are 5$. I was just wondering how much better they are for double the price. I know that they are a sponser of ours so I figured I would check them out but I wanted to hear some reports first.

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Salmo is a little different from most of your lure companies today. They pride themselves in using qaulity material,paint, hooks and workmanship. They do not have a big presence in Ohio yet but the cranckbaits are becoming very popular for our summer time saugeyes.I do not believe they are made in China but will have to check into that.

With that being said, that is why they are priced higher. I have never used the Lindy so i could not compare the two.

I am just getting to fish them this year and hope to get to use them on erie next weekend.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I think Dave is really accurate in what he's stating here. Salmo does put a lot of pride in their product and their name. This is to ice fishing what Lucky Craft is to Bass Fishing. The spectrum of colors and extreme attention to detail are what you're paying for.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I think I am going to order a few. So many colors and sizes its hard to chose. LOL. Thank God the sinker business has been good this winter to help support my habit.

TURKEY09

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I will check them out. Thanks

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
They are a good bait.  I've used them a couple of times and they've worked for me very well. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

papaperch

• View Profile
I have and use the Salmo Chubby Darter. I have a few in all sizes. No great luck on them yet mostly 12inch and under walleyes and a few dink crappies.
To be fair I haven't spent a whole lot of time using them.

By the way last that I knew they were all made in Poland. Hopefully that has not changed. China made stuff never exhibits any quality.

zoeconner

• View Profile
    • QuickFishTipUp
I Want to let you know that after looking at the Lindy ones I bought, it looks kind of crappy if you really look at it.
The first tip up that can be fished on ice and land.

www.quickfishtipup.com

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Tell us what you really think zoe!!!!! ;D
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety