Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Marcum LX7 or Ion Lith Auger

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Lucky enough to be able to purchase one of the two. I have a Zercom colorpoint flasher that's about 10yrs old but works fine, and drilling holes is kickin my a$$. Gettin old... Anyone have either? Thoughts on which one?

chaunc

• View Profile
If the flasher works for you but the drilling is a problem, get what you need most, not what you want. I bought an Ion last season because my shoulders wont let me drill a lot of holes with the hand auger. It fits my need perfectly. For me, it's always needs before wants. Good luck on your choice.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Agreed, if your flasher works, go for a power auger, you'll never regret it!!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
I would go with the auger too. Drilling holes with a hand auger is a pain with bad shoulders. I had my right one fixed 2 yrs. ago & get my left done tues. Getting my gas auger was a good decision, much easier and I wasn"t limited to fishing only a few holes.

toadfish

• View Profile
I am going against the grain here.  I try to travel light and the added weight of the battery auger would be too much to lug around.  Since we rarely have ice over 12" thick in Ohio, I don't find it a problem drilling holes as long as the auger blades are sharp.  The way I look at it, if you drill lots of holes and run out of battery, you are locked into fishing the holes you have already drilled or have to take a hand auger as a back-up.

The flasher is light and a necessity to me, along with the shanty, heater and food.

If you have arm/shoulder issues, then yeah, go with the auger.  Otherwise, upgrade the electronics.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Ion claims 40 holes thru 2' of ice on a single charge. At 22lbs for the 8" and 21 for the 6, it seems like a no brainier. But the LX7 is bad ass too. I'm leaning towards the Ion as I believe I can move around a lot like I use too.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Get an LX-3 and a strikemaster laser 7" and never look back!  ;D
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I love the old zercom black and white flashers we have. If I was gonna spend some money on an auger though I would get the propane one, it seems like a great idea. We have two gas augers and love both, if the ice is more than 4 inches I would rather deal with the weight than having to hand drill! Dad bought a z51 eskimo shark auger two years ago (Just opened it) and that thing is about the sweetest cutting auger I have seen!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Minnowhead

• View Profile
I've used the JiffyPro4 propane auger and I would get it over a gas auger. It is a great auger. I have also used a Nils 6" hand auger. It is an amazing auger compared to my Mora 8" hand auger. Very little effort thru 6" of ice.
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

steelneyes

• View Profile
If you are catching fish, the flasher sure helps. But moving around if you are not, helps even more.  If you are sitting on a bad spot because you can't comfortably drill, the best electronics in the world won't put more fish on your line.  Which power auger is up to you.  I have looked at all of them lately and think the battery power may be the simpleist to maintain store and use.  Electronics change and come down in price every year for what was the best available a year ago.  The auger is a better long term investment, unless you are getting younger and stronger, in which case money wouldn't be any issue  ;D
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

Vexilar