Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Shanty & sled towing made easier

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Fishing...The ONLY way we'll walk on water!
    • View Profile
Got tired of dragging my Clam Nanook by just grabbing rope & pulling. Instead of buying a harness for your shoulders, I took an old treestand safety harness and cut the leg straps off and took a carabiner and attached to the lower drag loop on harness. Now I can put on harness, cinch down chest strap and hook carabiner to the tow rope and pull shanty with chest, leaving my hands free to spud and makes it easier to lean into it especially in deep snow & slush.

Also added a set of long X country ski's to runners on tub to help it ride higher and easier in deep snow :P
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

pdfish

• View Profile
Great idea, will try that,
I made what is called a "Smitty Sled" what a huge difference. check it out
http://forum2.quintefishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12976

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks for the "Smitty Sled" idea. May try it if mounting skis to the Nanook tub doesn't help. Afraid Smitty Sled would require taking 2 man flipover shanty off out on ice to use so wind skirt will work and not have wind blowing under tub, then mounting back on with straps to move or leave ???  Trying to come up with collapsable or way to fold out of way during use.... ;D
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

pdfish

• View Profile
Really easy to use. I have a 2 man clam flip over and I take it off the sled to flip over. or I have used it all day when nice right on the sled just using the seats. I you google smitty sled, you will see the plans, really cool. the 2 x 4's are not bolted down they just slide together. it takes just seconds to put together and take apart.

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks, I'll check it out.... :)
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

chaunc

• View Profile
Just had a smitty sled made for me last week. I have an older model trap pro that pulled like a tank with just a little snow on the ice. This sled has made a huge diffrence for me. Glad i had it made. I tried to get a guy on this site to make me one months ago but he never got back to me.

Erie Tom

• View Profile
I use one  for about two years. Just make  the rope short otherwise you are fighting  the sled. This way you are kind of lifting  the front of  the sled.
Use my dear  sliing!

Vexilar