Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Shelter flooring

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I was recently at Outdoor World for their ice event and I purchased a great hub style shelter, it's lightweight and easy to put up. I got it for $150 without the floor, with floor it was $300.. The problem with the floors they put in these shelters is that the hole placement isn't always ideal...

Here is the Solution....

You can purchase workspace flooring that fits together like a big jigsaw puzzle, I found some at Stites Variety on C.R. 130 outside of Bellefontaine... The package includes six 2'X2' tiles that are around 3/4" thick. You can place tiles anywhere you want and choose your ideal flooring pattern. This not only puts an extra barrier between you and ice, but it also serves to protect your investments i.e. Transducers, rod and reel, etc.

If you're not from the Logan County area you can probably locate this type of flooring at home improvement stores, and I know it is available online.

Good Fishin'

RatherBe
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Thts a great idea.

So do you just piece them together on the ice and leave a square out for your hole. When your done you just take it apart?

Please take a picture when you get this out.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
That's the plan, we'll see how the stuff I bought performs on the ice... the big concern is that you obviously don't want something that is going to freeze to the ice. I'll take pictures for sure...

RatherBe
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

niC

• View Profile
I have a 6x12 clam dbl hub and use those mats too. They work great I have a custom set I use for overnighters on the ice.
Former Buckeye transformed into a cheesehead.
Fish Now! You'll be dead a long time!

beckslabs

• View Profile
Look for them at Big Lots thats were i got my. Work great and where you sit i used 2 layers for my feet.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I use a sheet of the 2 inch rigid foam for construction.  It's insulated and cut any size you want from the 4x8 sheet.  Can also cut holes wherever you want.  But most times I don't use anything, as I'm not in my shanty very much and my feet never get cold unless I'm sick.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
i also have tied lots of stuff .the easiest is a piece of yoga mats the girls use ....it rolls up and fits in my pop up ...just enough to lay things on the floor
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Fisnfool

• View Profile
That's the plan, we'll see how the stuff I bought performs on the ice... the big concern is that you obviously don't want something that is going to freeze to the ice. I'll take pictures for sure...

RatherBe

Anybody ever try spraying the bottom with Pam or similar spray to keep stuff from freezing to the ice?  Or maybe brushing on a coating of paraffin at home to treat them?
When fish are in schools, they sometimes take debate.

Vexilar