Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Auger blade sharpening?

LeeinOH

• Niles McKinley #794
    • View Profile

IMBOW

• View Profile
I have been sharpening my own Mora blades and those for my buddy for years without issue.  I typically only sharpen one side unless absolutely necessary to do both.  I have about four sets and just rotate through them when they start to feel dull.  I am sure they don't cut as well as new or professionally sharpened blades, but quite frankly they seem to work pretty well.  I use a whetstone, maintain the exact angles that are present (to the best of my ability by hand), and just take off enough material to remove nicks and reestablish a sharp edge.  I also make sure to never bang the blades down vertically to remove ice build up and I keep the guard on when not in use.  I typically drill (by hand) 50 holes or so in a day of ice fishing and can get at least five days of fishing before I start to notice I am working harder (250 holes).   You start to really notice dull blades when the ice gets past 8" thick.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Bought this hand auger shapener decades ago.  It does a fair job. Dont know if it's still on the market.

We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Vexilar