Ice Fish Ohio Forum

13 Black Betty Multiplier

TURKEY09 · 18 · 10160

TURKEY09

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Just trying to hear some reviews about the Black Betty Multiplier. Looks like a sweet reel.
turkey09

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
im not sure about the multiplier  but i have the black betty 13 and i really like it ..very simple... ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

jmsteele187

• View Profile
There is another black betty reel.  It's actually called the black betty 6061, I guess there was a name change that caused some confusion for quite a few people.  Snowcone, I believe you and I both have the regular black betty reel.  The 6061 isn't a 1:1 ratio reel, so it will reel up line a bit quicker.  I guess they are available in small numbers this year, and will probably be kinda hard to get ahold of.

TURKEY09

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
jmsteel187 that is the reel I was talking about. Looks like a great reel. Just seeing if anybody on here has used one yet. They reel up 19" inches with one turn of the handle. It also has a free spool switch and my Frabill does not.
turkey09

jmsteele187

• View Profile
If its built anything like the regular black betty, it's going to be built like a tank.  My black betty is solid aluminum.  I think it machined aluminum, instead of cast too.  But, it's a much simpler design than the 6061.  The drag literally consists of a thumb screw and a Teflon washer.  It's kind of nice to have that kind of simplicity.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yeah i just checked and i saw this reel go for 225$  amazing how something can escalate out of control...does seem like a nice reel  :D

TURKEY09

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
My point about the free spool is you would be able to fish deeper water easiar. Get your jig down much faster. Looks like a great reel.
turkey09

TURKEY09

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I've been looking for this reel for a few weeks and everybody has been out of them. Cabela's now have them in stock.  ;)
turkey09

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Wow those are expensive but nice with that gear ratio.  I have the Frabill 101 and am happy with that but it is a 1 to 1 ratio.  Fly reels are the way to go in my opinion after testing them out its just hard to drop all that money when I need six of them.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

jmsteele187

• View Profile
They are actually $99.99 for the reel alone from most of the places selling them.  Unfortunately everyone is also sold out, cabelas is the only place I found that has them in stock still.  If you want one, I'd buy it right now.  It seems a limited run and a fly reel craze in ice fishing has made them the hot item of the season.

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Do those black betty's click on the way down or are they silent?
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

jmsteele187

• View Profile
On the 6061, I have no idea.  With the regular BB it's silent.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yeah im happy not spending that kind of money especially when the season is so wishy washy,i would rather spend my cash on a bigger pop up by eskimo ;D the 4 man

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
gotcha  :D

Vexilar