Ice Fish Ohio Forum

1/5/2011

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Fished from 3p to 6p. Caught 52 Crappie and bluegill. Surprisingly only 6 were under 8 inch. Also got a 17 inch Bass. I fished in 9 to 11 ft. of water out from the flag pole. All the fish were suspending to 7 to 4 ft. The only thing I could get them to bite was a #8 tiger jig from Quality Ice Jigs tipped with a Berkley Gulp Alive 1 inch fish fry.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

TURKEY09

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Nice. I wondered if those Gulp fish fry really worked. I just got some for xmas. I haven't got to try them out yet. What was your best color of fry?
turkey09

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
White. I love those baits. There has been many times where they wouldn't hit any thing but they would hit those. When they wont bit anything Ill put on a 1/64 or 1/80 jig and back it down the hole real slow( The same speed as a maggot freefalling) and just very slightly twitch the line as it falls. Those crappie and gills cant resist it. If they dont come up and attack it lower it down to where the fish are. Lightly jig it then start bringing it up slowly while twitching. Watch you flasher and the fish will normally start to follow it up. bring the fish up a couple of feet and by then they will finally take it. If not start over. The wiggling action of that little tail drives those fish crazy. Sometimes just trying to holding it still will work. Unless you have a very steady hand the lite natural shake it your gets transmitted all the down to the bait. That shaking will ever so slightly twitch that tail.

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

TURKEY09

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info. I'll have to try them I got the luma glow, natural, and the pink for xmas. I thought the pink would be great for crappie.
turkey09

bluegillkiller

• View Profile
is the bite better in the am or pm headed out sat morin but i dont haver one of the their flashers 

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I double checked what I use and its the Luma Glow not White. The bite is great mornings and evenings. In the morning I try to be on the ice before the sun even starts to come up. They normally bite great until 1/2 hr to 1 hr after sun up. After that you have to chase them around. Its common to not get a bite in one and move 5 ft and tear them up. When I pick my spot Ill drill 10-12 holes in a line or along a contour change 10 to 20 ft. apart and fish each hole for a few minutes. Sometimes I drill 20 -30 holes before I find them. But all that work is worth it. A lot of guys are not catching many through the day, but there not moving around.The guys who move catch the most. The crappie school up tight. They have been suspending pretty far up the water column. As for the evening bit they dont seem to fire up heavy until real close to dark. #2 nickel swedish pimple tipped with maggots have been working great for me. Small jigs work great also.

bluegillkiller

• View Profile
just one more ? on your pimples do u use the trebble hook thanks for all the in put buddy good luck this weekend

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I use the treble hook with the red blade.

Vexilar