Ice Fish Ohio Forum

funny story for cold night

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
this is a trilogy of funny ice stories..........

many moons back on mogadore 2 friends went ice fishing with me, they never iced fish before. it was about 15 deg , 10 pm  in my shanty. the ice was very noisey and about 14 inchs of ice and 6 more in in snow pak  lol   we had 6 holes and catching fish. now  really noisey ice is growing.  cracks that night were above average to almost spooky   ...well all of a sudden a super crack echoed accross the lake and you could hear it coming   kshhhhhhhhhh  ran right under us accross all 6 holes, glurped , and shook the shed and keept goin. i think my 2 friends ripped the door off tryin to get out as they scrambled over me...

another tale on skeeter in the shanty  , got out to get another gas bottle and noticed it was snowing sideways almost blizzard . another shanty was about 20 yrds away and while watching i saw fish pop out the door and land on the  ice... cool i thought    but   there was a big bird standing there and when a fish popped out that bird gobbled it up, the guys inside had no idea this was happening.  well i watched for a minute  laughing my butt off every time a fish popped out and mr bird  grabbed it   hahahaha

and last    a group of us walkin out off the parking lot onto the ice  at a fav lake  , now i have to tell you we had 16 inches of ice .  and the trail out was 10 ft wide, ok    suddenly we hear oh chit and look over and 1  of the guys was stuck at the waist where he went thru some ones previous dunking,   now this guy is big and getting him un plugged was a challange     the end
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

ice hole 2

• View Profile
On 13 Feb. 2015 -This was the year we still had 14 in. ice on 8 March. Fished Indian Lake - at Long Island - near the shore of Pony Island. My fishing partner was nearby but did not see the action. I noticed movement to my left 35 - 40 feet away. I looked over and saw what I think was a Great Blue Heron watching me. He was hungry! I gave him one small gill. He then came to 11 - 12 feet of me, stood on one leg and just watched me. I caught another small one tossed it to him which he also gobbled down. Caught a keeper gill and I said " no, you are not getting this one". He still waited. Caught another good one and I said "no, you are not getting this on either". He got disgusted and slowly walked  to the shore. Caught another small one . I said, " Hey, here's one". By then, he was 40 yards away. I tossed it onto the ice 20 feet away- he flew right to it and ate that one too! He then went to the shore and disappeared. Kept a few dozen gills, the Heron had three which made my day!!
My best friends are ice holes.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Great stories guys and thanks for sharing.  I needed a good laugh today.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Awesome!!  I hope e we have a year like that with 15”!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar