Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ICE JIGS

welderhillbilly

• View Profile
FELLAS

IM ROUNDING UP AN ASSORTMENT IF JIGS  AND BAITS FOR MY FIRST YEAR ICE FISHING. I WILL BE AFTER WHATEVER I CAN GET TO BITE!  I NEED SOME HELP ON WHICH JIGS,COLORS AND SIZES TO PURSUE SOME PERCH, BLUEGILL,CRAPPIE AND MAYBE A SAUGEYE. I WILL PROBABLY FISH AROUND THE COLUMBUS AREA .

THANKS
SHANNON

JustNutts

There are some good guys to get with down there, Dave and CRV jump to mind. Theres an infinant jig selection available. Most common sizes would be 1/64, 1/32,1/16, for panfish either tipping with a waxie or mouse. Try an assortment of colors, somedays only one color will work while other days it doesnt matter what it is the fish will kill it. Look at some of the "JIG SPONSORS" websites to see what they have and make your decicion from that. Comming from a "saugeye guy" I use jigging rappalas up to a couple inches, sweedish pimples, with monows and of course vibes. And once again there is just a huge color assortment of all. Maybe somebody else can expand some of the areas I mentioned. Yesterday I pulled 2 saugeyes out with a 1/2oz gold vibe. Deffinatly if you dont have much ice experience get out there with somebody who does, those guys I mentioned above would be great to show ya some tips and techniques and most of all safety.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Russ hit it on the head as far as the jigs for panfish. Granpa Bob has a great selection at a great price. Jason Jigs is coming out with new ice fishing jigs and i look forward to trying them this year.

I would ad 2 to 4 lb test for panfish depending on the clearity of water. Tip them with waxies or a plastic like a nuggie. The nuggie has a round ball on it and a small tail. Make sure you keep the tail that bends upward bending upward when on the hook. This gives it a better action than facing down.

8lb pound test with the vibes, jiging rapalas, and sweedish pimples for saugeye. 1/8 ounce and 1/16 ounce vib'e in gold, silver, silver blue, crome, and orange will do the job at Indian on the Saugeye's. Use a clip and not a swivel that has a clip as this will kill the vibe action.

I hope this helps. Keep asking good questions and i am sure you will get more helpfull tips.

David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

welderhillbilly

• View Profile
I ALSO NEED SOME SUGGESTIONS ON A RED AND REEL COMBO FOR SAUGEYE. IT SEEMS THESE COMBOS ARE A LITTLE HARDER TO FIND.  ANY INEXPENSIVE IDEAS?

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There are many inexpensive models out there but I have found that they do not hold up and then you have to by another one. \

I use Jason Mitchel Rods because they are very well made and will last for many years. You can find the rod and reel combo at www.jason mitchellrods.com. I recommend the 28 inch medium Walleye and reel combo. Combo runs 48.95 and the rod is is 34.95 if you already have a smaller spinning reel.

There are guy's who use there summer long poles to ice fish. They will work but you have to fish outside. To long for a shanty. Most times i dress warm and dont even fish in a shanty so this is an option.

You are also welcome to fish with use and try the rods and reels before you make the investment.

Hopefully you will get some other ideas from other members.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
Jammin Jigs

beckslabs

• View Profile
 Hi, welderhillbilly i have some lite lee used ice fishing comb. I have like 15 sets so i'am looking to sell 3 or 4 sets. From med. to med. lite and lite. No hi $ sets but no junk. PM me your ph# and i will call you if you would like that. I will make you a good deal. But i need to know if you want to look at the rods because we are having a garage sale this weekend. I can E-Mail you pic.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That sounds great Beckslabs.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
Jammin Jigs

welderhillbilly

• View Profile
HEY BECKSLABS

SEND ME A PIC TO  [email protected] I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THE MEDIUM RIGS.
THANKS

SHANNON

pbugs2009

• View Profile
    • Jasonsjigs.webs.com
as for jigs i have any colors you want and cheaper than mosts.. I am also making some ice blades, and color you could want. As for the jigs 1/80-1/64-1/32-1/16 i will have color combos you could want. Ive bee moving jigs left and right for a bunch of guys around indian lake..Any questions just PM me..Also have jigheads in stock also. I can color them of leave them plain...Enjoy and thanks

Vexilar