Ice Fish Ohio Forum

New lure idea and some new spoons!

Poll

Do you think spoon with the gill pill on a dropper chain will work?

Yes, great idea!
6 (66.7%)
jury is still out.
3 (33.3%)
Nope, back to drawing board!
0 (0%)
Wish I'd thought of it.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Picked up a few spoons the other day.  Got these pretty much exclusively for large bluegill.  They're considerably smaller than a dime!  Should be great for gills and crappie too.

Now for the twist!  I like to use dropper chains and hooks sometimes for panfish depending on the situation.  But I don't always like a single hook under my spoon.  Since I've been waiting on ice, I've been tinkering.  This is what I've come up with!  Don't know if it'll work or not, but it looks tantilizing.  I've put my dropper chain under a spoon after I removed the treble hook.  But instead of having a single hook on it, I put on a gill pill.  When I jig the spoon the gill pill can swing freely with a spike on it, and it's easy to change color and size with the dropper chain.

Anyone try this before?  Thoughts on it?
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
Good idea slab. Hope it works out for you.wonder how much swing the gill pill will have. Let us know how it works for you. Good luck.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
looks like a plan.....try that with a dry fly for a stinger :)
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
great idea!  I always carry my 2 fly boxes with me on the ice.  I've got some great gills on midges and dry flies!  ;D :o
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

toadfish

• View Profile
These type of rigs are deadly for perch.  I think they will be fine for bigger gills and keep the smaller ones off the hook.  Action of the chain dropper is great when it is tipped with spikes or a waxie!
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Started fishing droppers when I moved to Ohio believe it or not (came from Lake St Clair aka perch heaven) found that flu flu dry hair jigs are deadly for gills as others mentioned below however you will miss a lot of up bites which as you know come from my favorite fish in the world and based on your forum name yours too .... So if you get into slabs forgoe the dropper
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:14:15 PM by Banker »
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yep. I only use the the dropper for gills. I've used them before, just never like this on a chain. For slabs you have to maintain contact with the jig at all times to know if that up bite happens. Crappie feed above themselves most times. You're spot on!  However, about my screen name, I catch and release 100% of my open water fish and over 95% of what I get thru the ice. I never keep monsters either, they're released for breeding stock back into the lake. I'm only a "slayer" in that I catch a ton of fish, I don't like to kill and keep them.  ;D  I'll keep 1 or 2 a day, my wife hates fish, and I don't like it frozen. So I'll keep enough for 1 dinner for myself and that's it.  :o

Team Wilcraft!

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Sounds like you are onto something there slab only seen chain jig combos overseas up till this year Sportsmens carries this http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/ice-fishing/Perch%20Slammer%20Dropper%20Chains/
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

steelneyes

• View Profile
Will be curious to see if the gill pill tangles on the chain while falling.  The idea looks like it has tons of merit, I catch a lot of big crappie on the chain with a whole minnow on the regular single hook.  Sometimes they want the minnow to sit almost still and the weight of the spoon makes the minnow swim in a tiny 2 or 3 inch circle until they grab it.
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

ohiochris

• View Profile
Looks good and Ive seen where people have had luck with similar rigs. But imagine the spoon attracting attention as the gill pill rises up from the bottom attatched to a piece of invisible fluorocarbon line. Apparently the chains do catch fish but the fluorocarbon seems like it would look a little better to the fish.

Vexilar