Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Southern michigan?

Fishfeeder

• View Profile
Entertaining the thought of heading to southern Michigan. Anyone hear of lakes that have good ice let me know. Hoping to stay in 5 to 6 hr drive of cincy if possible. Thanks

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
It will be soon, they normally get ice a few days before us.
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Saw guy

• View Profile
If you're willing to get on the road for 5 hours, Houghton Lake is looking good. About an hour north of Saginaw. Lows have  been in tens and it doesn't seem to be getting above freezing. I have been going up once in the last couple years, but had surgery on my foot in December, and it doesn't appear that I will be able to get on the ice this year barring a miracle. They have lodging there that will take you out, drill your holes, and supply a shanty and heater, if you don't want to lug all of your stuff out. Check them out on facebook. It's a good site. And it's not a bad drive.

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Houghton might be farther than you want to go as it would be like 6,5 to 7 hours from Cincy.  They should have good ice you can check by contacting Lyman's On The Lake. Houghton is a very large lake like 20,000 acres and is basically a shallow bowl so transportations really helps. The southeast corner bay has some weed beds but if I remember right there is a spring area somewhere. There is also a deep hole(well for Houghton) maybe a 100 yards off the south shore near Mallard Ave if I remember right it is like 12 fow compared to the 4 fow that surrounds it. If you are looking for a place to stay you might try American Oak Resort it is right on the lake.

g

• View Profile
Good to know about Houghton. Was thinking about making the trip ther myself. Hope your foot heals quickly Saw Guy.

Fishfeeder

• View Profile

fishingful

• View Profile
SR 55 seems to be the road that divides the ice. Anything north of there should be good.

g

• View Profile
Thinking about maybe next week Fishfeeder. Will let you know when I decide.

Fishfeeder

• View Profile
I've been thinking of heading that way myself. If I do, we could meet up on the ice. Always good to have someone familiar around.
G , if your interested you can get my number from mark.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 02:13:27 PM by Fishfeeder »

g

• View Profile
Won't be next weekend, forgot about the wife's birthday. Will shoot for the following weekend.

Fishfeeder

• View Profile
Looking at the 15 day for Houghton area, not looking so good. I was going to hold for the weekend of 25th but now might scramble and go this weekend.

g

• View Profile

Saw guy

• View Profile
Fishfeeder, if you go, stop at Lyman's on the lake bait store. They will give you useful info. They have shanties set up within walking distance from shore. Bring your tip ups for pike. I you have transportation on the ice, they'll let you know where the pressure cracks are. Good luck.

Fishfeeder

• View Profile
I'm still going. Doing the last minute, decide on where thing. probably going to be Houghton or Cadillac. Been looking at a lot of lakes up there, got more lakes than you can shake a pole at. Wanting to find a nice lake, doesn't have to be a big one that's little more out of the way. Not so crowded and pressured. I'll sit down tonight and pick one. Thanks, I'll report back about the big one that got away. LMAO
 Update, Heading for Houghton.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 12:21:01 PM by Fishfeeder »

Vexilar